Ch. XXI

The rest of the evening was spent in mostly comfortable silence, and (y/n) asking Connor for the glasses she had given him this morning.

She had demonstrated a few things one could do with them, such as analyzing chemical compounds of several substances just by looking at them, or, with a few tricks and a little bit of frustration, configure them to have access to the police database, and be able to physically identify almost any individual.

Connor thought it to be rather helpful and interesting, and had bombarded the young woman with questions about where she had learned to do such things.

"Well, Vader used to be really good at...anything that has to do with Horomas." She nodded at the glasses in her hands, then flicked a small switch with the edge of her fingernail. "Horomas are not as complex as computers, and a lot easier to understand. Or so he claimed. He showed me a few tricks, but I'll never be as good as he was. Him and Miko always had a knack for technology." Connor could see a fond smile spread on her features. "I miss him."

"But you've seen him less than 12 hours ago." The deviant furrowed his brows in confusion as (y/n) unfolded the Horomas and placed them on her face.

"Yeah, but...he's not exactly there." She scoffed bitterly as the lenses flickered purple again, numbers flashing before her eyes. "Oh well, let's drop the subject. Here. They should have a few more tricks up their sleeve now." She took them off, then placed them on Connor's face, smiling when a tuft of hair fell down his forehead. With a quirky smirk, she twirled it around in her hand, forming it into a spiral before letting it slide off her fingers. The deviant had the sudden urge to smile as well, and felt blood rush to his face before he could even process, much less stop it.

(Y/n) had obviously noticed, yet only watched him in slight wonder.

Connor looked down at his hands, and discovered in slight wonder that letters flickered on the lenses, indicating that they were limbs with Android components. Obviously. His gaze moved over to (y/n), focused on her face.

(Y/n) (l/n)
Age: 19
Criminal record: Drug dealing, speeding, murder

Wait, murder?

"Murder?" Connor asked, voicebox malfunctioning and jumping up a few octaves.

"Yeah. The cops we killed, genius." She shook her head in slight amusement. "Your face was priceless, by the way."

Oh.

"I— I was just...confused." He clarified quickly.

"What else can you access?" She asked with a cheeky smile that made Connor eager to dig for more information.

"Birthplace, Detroit, Michigan. Born on the (day) of (month) in 2045."

"Well then, glad to see it works." (Y/n) laughed through her nose and stood up without another word. Connor managed to access one last bit information.

(M/n) (l/n) [DECEASED]
Father unregistered

"Oh, and one more thing, Con."

Connor hadn't even realized he was staring at the floor. His gaze snapped up in surprise at the nickname, finding (y/n)'s immediately.

"I noticed you fidget a lot, so, I thought it might come in handy if I told you not to mess with..." She took a hold of his hand and guided it up to his temple, to the hinges of the glasses. "Feel that little switch right there?" She pressed her fingers over his. "Don't play with it, it's a pretty vital component."

"I had a coin." He blurted out, more to himself than to anyone in particular.

She let go of his hand and tilted her head curiously.

"Say again?"

"I remembered that I used to have a coin. That I would fidget with." Connor continued, lowering his hand from the side of his Horomas as he tried to think back to when he had last seen it. "I must've lost it."

(Y/n) hummed and stared at the floor before her eyes glinted almost playfully.

"Wait, I know just the thing."

He did as he was told, watching (y/n) as she lazily trotted over to her improvised kitchen, starting to dig through the cabinets.

She returned with something transparent in her hands, plopping back down beside Connor. The young woman handed him the object, which was slightly bigger than a coin, yet equally flat and round, with a round structure on one side that alluded to the fact that it was some sort of bottle cap. A small thermometer was incorporated into it, and above it, written in Cyberlife sans:

Memobottle ™

Manufactured by Cyberlife

"What is this?" He asked, furrowing his brows as he inspected it more closely, smiling upon noticing that the thermometer was broken.

"It's the cap of a Memobottle." She smiled. "It's one of the things we raided today. They can be used to contain memories for extended time periods, up to like 50 years or something. You can transfer them onto any kind of Memotran body during that time. It's useful for people that can't afford buying a body just yet. For instance, let's say someone has a son that's in the end phase of leukemia and they're all outta money. Just buy one o' these, put your kid's memories onto it, and put it to use once you have enough money."

"That sounds...oddly specific." Connor remarked as he placed it on his index and flicked it into the air with his thumb, catching it easily.

"Yeah, that's...Ahad. I mean, you know him as Vader. It's Vader's story." She huffed. "We used to be good friends, probably because our moms were pretty close. And he introduced me to Mikolaj."

"Was this the cap to his bottle?"

(Y/n) snorted. "No, it's one I found on the streets once."

Connor gave it another flick, then caught it mid-air and gave it back to (y/n).

She shook her head dismissively and stood up to discard of her empty plate. "You can keep it. I think I'm gonna go to bed."