Ch. XXXIV

"We're there." Vader whispered, blinking to adjust his eyes to the truck's dim light, seemingly almost blinded after he had taken off the Horomas.

"Already?" (Y/n) asked drowsily, then chuckled under hear breath. "Fuck, I almost fell asleep."

Mikolaj raised his hand, gluing his index to his lip, looking at all of them, then slowly rose to his feet, holding his gun in both hands.

He leaned against the truck's doors, pressing his ear against the surface.

"Ya hear anything?" Vader whispered.

"Yeah, um...what'd you say again?" Mikolaj asked, voice thin and shaky. "Right after we talked about uh- Pav. That idiots always underestimate others, or that one should never underestimate an idiot?"

"One should never underestimate an idiot." Vader clarified. "Why-"

"Well then, huh, guess that makes me an idiot." He smiled, concealing another emotion, one Connor couldn't understand-something stormy, deep-rooted and fearful. "You stay here. I'll go out, check if anyone's there. If I knock three times on the door, it means you're good. If not, then uh, not. I- It's been fun."

"Miko, hold on." (Y/n) spoke up. "Why are you...what's gotten into you?"

"I need to do something right." He whispered. "Don't get me wrong, this isn't about playing the hero for him." He nodded at Connor. "I'm not- I'm not a hero."

"You don't-"

"I want to." He answered, then swallowed visibly. "U-Um, one last thing."

"Yeah?"

"Tell Fr- Olesia. Tell mom I hope she's proud." He stuttered out, then slammed his shoulder against the truck's back entrance, jumping out through the small space between the two doors.

(Y/n) scrambled to her feet, gluing her frame to the wall, to avoid being spotted through the crack. Connor and Vader also did.

The deviant turned off his cooling fans, realizing his temperature was rising even faster than he could register it.

Silence.

Gunshots, far too many to be just Mikolaj's and another person's.

Seven, Connor counted.

Seven in total.

He felt (y/n) squeeze his forearm in fear. Her pupils were blown wide, breath stuttering, a tremor going through her body.

"Fuck." She whispered.

(Y/n) placed a hand over her own mouth, stifling a shaky inhale.

Vader wasn't doing much better either, pressed against the boxes of memotran bottles, jaw clenched.

One knock against the truck's door. Two. Three.

Forceful, skull-rattling.

The door swayed back and forth in the slightest under the force of the knocks.

"Well, do you plan on getting out of there? I've been ordered to keep the devaint functional, but there wasn't anything specified about human companions."

That voice wasn't Mikolaj's.

It was Connor's.

Coming from outside the truck.

While Connor was on the inside, right beside (y/n).

The air seemed unbearably hot for some reason, as if the deviant's cooling fans had ceased functioning. Who was that, with his voice?

"Connor model RK800, serial number 313 248 317 - 51, step out of the vehicle. My scanners have already detected your presence inside the Cyberlife Memotran truck, there is no use in hiding. And bring your mechanical and human companions with you. No sudden movements, or I will not hesitate to open fire on them and incapacitate you."

(Y/n) was the first one to move, admittedly quite reluctantly, towards the exit, palms up in submission, hopping out of the truck.

"Next." The voice demanded.

Connor obeyed, mimicking (y/n)'s movements. The Cyberlife storage room was massive, each and every one of his steps echoing because of its sole size, walls and floor painted in simplistic gray.

A broad-shouldered figure, roughly three inches taller than Connor, with higher cheekbones than him, and legs imposingly spread just enough to add to its dangerous appearance was standing in front of (y/n), holding a gun in one hand each. Android components.

(Y/n) had tucked her hands behind the back of her neck, frame trembling, looking away from the Android, at something Connor couldn't recognize at first.

Among five other corpses of Cyberlife guards was also Mikolaj's-Mikolaj's corpse-collapsed right on top of hem, bullet-wound in the bridge of his nose, blood running down the side of his face, into his open, soulless eyes.

Connor stepped towards the intimidating figure, assuming a protective stance beside (y/n).

With a glance to his side, he finally realized why she had been trembling. She was crying, quietly, pain carved deep into her expression as she stared at Mikolaj's dead body. Tears streamed down her face, catching in the corners of her mouth, then falling down her chin. She was mouthing something, something Connor couldn't understand for the life of him. He wanted to offer a shoulder to lean on, or say some words that'd make it all a little more bearable for her, or something, anything. But he couldn't. Not when the gun the other Android had pointed at him.

"Next!" He shouted, voice almost a perfect copy of Connor's, yet empty, lacking of feelings. His face, compared to Connor's, also appeared more old and dominant, higher cheekbones, creases on the corners of his mouth and between his brows that made him seem like he was constantly frowning, hair salt and pepper instead of dark brown.

Vader also stepped out of the car, hands held above his head, doing his best to not glance in the direction of Mikolaj's corpse.

Until his curiosity got the best of him.

He moved to clutch his stomach, as if he were about to puke, then stopped brusquely when the clicking of a loading gun resonated in the huge storage room.

"Hands above your head." The Android said. "Unless you want me to shoot."

"You fucker." Vader growled. "You killed-"

"I killed the guards, nothing more. The death of Mikolaj Jasko is not something to hold me responsible for." He said, then gestured at (y/n) and Connor with his handgun. "Now move."

Vader oblidged, admittedly quite slowly, as if his movements had been tranquilized by the death of his friend.

As soon as the boy had joined Connor and (y/n), the Android stored one gun into a holster on the back of his belt, and held onto the other. He stepped in front of all of them, then began speaking.

"I am an Android model RK3000, or RK3K for verbal convenience. I have been designed by Elijah Kamski, I am the most advanced android thus far. I've been ordered to take the last functional deviant alive." He looked at Connor. "That would be you, RK800."