Ch. XXX

"Thank you, Olesia. I appreciate that so much." (Y/n) smiled at Freya, then gave her a quick hug.

"Don't mention it." She shook her head and huffed, then looked down at the fluffy dog beside (y/n)'s feet. "Munnin and Huginn already seem to like him."

Indeed, the two dobermans were curiously sniffing the smaller dog's fur, inspecting him from all angles.

"Be good, babyboy." (Y/n) kneeled down to pet Xylo and place a kiss on the top of his head, then backed away. The animal responded with a cheerful ring and a wag of his curled tail. Connor could've sworn he saw (y/n) wipe her eyes as she was rising back to her feet.

"Mom's the biggest dog person you'll ever meet." Mikolaj chimed in from one corner of the room, yet still refused to approach them. "He'll be fine."

"I know." She tried to stifle a sniffle, which however didn't go by unnoticed, at least not for Connor. He did want to be a part of this too, maybe pet Xylo once more, but it felt...strangely personal. He wouldn't want to interrupt...whatever this was.

"Let's go, Con. Ahad, Miko." The girl nodded for them to follow, which they did, except for Miko.

"You guys go on ahead." He said with a quick gesture. "I'll catch up."

They stepped out into the cold underground tunnels, both (y/n)'s and Vader's glasses flickering with purple to illuminate their path. Connor could've sworn he heard some faintly whispered words in Polish behind him, said in a bittersweet manner, alluding to a goodbye.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"Took you all long enough." Pavel said dryly as soon as (y/n), Connor and Vader had seated themselves inside the car. "Where's Miko?"

"Wanted to say goodbye to his mom. He'll be here in a few."

"What a momma's boy."

"At least he still has her." (Y/n) shrugged, then sunk down in her seat, and closed her eyes. "Fuck, I'm so tired."

"Try not to fall asleep until we come up with a more explicit plan." Vader said, leaning forward to be able to catch a glimpse of (y/n), since Connor was sitting between them.

"Well, you said something about...uh...spreading the deviancy virus." (Y/n) massaged her temples, then glanced back at Vader. "That's gonna take a while."

"Not necessarily. I could try to...to hijack all functioning Androids through an internet connection. And forcefully plant the deviancy virus in their programming."

"Good. Do that right now." (Y/n) suggested. "Connor's with us, and Zlatko's lab is a few minutes of underground wandering away."

"Yeah, here's the thing." Vader said almost reluctantly. "I don't think Connor works like that. His model is too old. It's like- like trying to transfer something from an Iphone 17 to a Galaxy Note 39. Won't work, they're two different models, and the year difference is too big. You need to adapt it to the new version for it to work. After that, we can hijack all others with the new version of the virus."

"Okay, so what you're implying is..."

"I'll need a new Android model. To see what the computing and programming differences are."

"Okay, we can arrange that, I think." (Y/n) tapped her chin. "We need to infiltrate a Cyberlife factory, or something of the sort."

"Yeah. I'd say we find a small shop. But...we need to deactivate the alarms somehow."

"I think I'm able to do that. Or at least the RK series used to be, back in 2038. I can try." Connor spoke up. "But if I fail, then-"

The passenger seat door opened, and in plopped Mikolaj. He gave Pavel a nod, then looked at Vader, (y/n) and Connor through the rearview mirror.

"What were you talking about?" He asked as Pavel started the car and began driving away.

"Infiltrating some sort of place where we can find Androids. A Cyberlife store, or factory." (Y/n) explained. "Connor said he could try deactivating the alarms, but he's not entirely sure if he can."

"Hm...no. I'm a risk-taker, but this...it's something else. It depends entirely on Connor wether or not we succeed. And, no offense to you, but I'm not sure if I really wanna bet my life on an Android." Mikolaj said, then looked down at his hands, reaching up to his face to brush a finger over his lower lip. The devaint didn't comment about the boy's words. He had all the rights to not trust him. Mikolaj probably hadn't ever seen an Android, or a devaint for that matter. Perhaps he considered him unstable. Connor felt (y/n) tense beside him, and his left hand on the top of her thigh.

"Well, do you have any better ideas?" (Y/n)'s voice had that sharp edge again as her gaze found Mikolaj's in the rearview mirror.

The Polish boy frowned.

"What if...what if we do it even more subtly than deactivating an alarm?" Mikolaj interjected after a few seconds. "Truck raiding. We raid a Cyberlife truck, then use it to carry us to a store or factory."

"You know what, that's actually the smartest and safest idea I've ever heard you come up with." Vader chuckled throatily from beside Connor. "I'm with you, Miko."

"I- Okay, yeah. Okay." (Y/n) stuttered out and leaned back in her seat. "We can do that. Connor? Pavel?"

"I agree."

Pavel pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Okay, but I'm not going with you. You do the stockpiling in the car, and I drive away after that. I don't want anything to do with this." The chubby boy explained hastily, his eyes darting from Connor, to (y/n), to Vader, and then to Mikolaj. "Honestly. I really don't like where this is going. You guys do your thing, but I won't be a part of it."

"Alright, Pav." Mikolaj sighed, then leaned back in his seat. "Let's go to a gas station, and buy some food. I'm starving. After that, the overpass, where we're gonna wait for a Cyberlife truck."

"Sounds good."