Ch. XXVIII

Connor didn't have the necessary energy to make another stress level scan, but he could already tell the (y/n) was quite injured.

He rung for air, unable to inhale it and cool his systems. Innumerable messages popped up in his vision.

He wouldn't have suspected that his last thought would be a wish. A wish to hold her just one more time, to watch her sleep peacefully once more, to hear her laugh.

Deviancy truly did make him...clumsy. Or maybe it had been (y/n), how could he know?

Perhaps a combination of both.

His synthmuscles relaxed, and finally, Connor could understand what humans considered peaceful about dying. It was relieving, in a sickening way.

Connor heard (y/n)'s voice, yet was unable to make out her words.

00 : 00 : 09 until shutdown

His eyes fluttered closed, and he gave up. He didn't bother trying to cool down his systems anymore. To find (y/n) with his gaze. To ask for help.

This was far more peaceful than shooting himself.

Just like going into standby. Warm, soft, inviting.

He could breathe.

Connor would've considered it a fantasy if it weren't for the message in his vision.

Core temperature: -2 degrees

And for the hands cupping his face.

"Connor! Connor!"

He could inhale. And exhale. Feel. Hear. Smell. Smell blood.

The deviant forced his eyes open, and the first thing he saw was a hand rested atop the area between his chest and abdomen, stained with both blue and red. And his Thirium pump inserted back into place.

"Connor, look at me."

He did.

Blood was running out of (y/n)'s nose, over her lips, down her chin, onto her shirt, eyes glazed with tears.

"Fuck, you're okay. You're okay." She repeated the sentence to herself, stroking her thumbs over Connor's cheekbones. "Fuck, I thought we were gonna die."

The deviant tugged on the mechanical arms holding him up and looked at her, still unable to muster the power to speak.

She quickly complied and rushed to the keyboard Zlatko had used minutes ago. Seconds later, he was freed from the machine's grasp, and almost tripped on his way out of it. (Y/n) was quick enough to catch his forearm and give the deviant some much-needed support.

"Connor, oh my god." She whispered and pulled him into a hug. The devaint heard her sob against his shoulder, barely there. Reluctantly, he wrapped his arms around her too, and it felt right.

He did get to hold her once again.

He closed his eyes and buried his face in the crook of her neck, hands running up and down her back. He scanned her stress levels again, and tightened his grip around her as soon as he realized that they were drastically going down. (Y/n) was okay. She was okay.

"I thought-" Connor began, and suddenly felt ashamed. He hadn't thought anything except for how nice it would've been to hold (y/n) once more, then accepted his death. So easily. Without a second thought. Without considering what might happen to the others-he had been egoistic in the purest form.

He should fix that.

With one last tight squeeze around (y/n)'s frame, he let go of her, smiling at her confused expression. Frowning in the slightest, Connor reached up to her nose, starting to wipe off the blood with his sleeve.

"Are you in pain?"

"Not a lot. Bet it doesn't even compare to having your metaphorical heart ripped out, so I'm not about to complain." The young woman chuckled and grabbed his wrist, moving his hand away from her face. (Y/n) backed away, a look of sorrow painted on her face.

Connor followed her gaze: Mikolaj was sitting on the tables he had woken up on, the boy's feet dangling off the ground. His hands were buried in his hair, gun rested in his lap.

Freya was sitting beside Odin's corpse, muttering things to herself in a foreign language Connor recognized as Polish. How were they supposed to fix this?

"Miko." (Y/n) spoke up, slowly letting go of Connor and cautiously approaching the boy. "I need you to explain."

The emotional dam inside the young man practically exploded, tears streaming down his face."Explain what? That I shot my boss? And that the entirety of Detroit's scoundrels are gonna want me and my mom dead?! What is there to fucking explain-" His voice was shifty, broken and raspy.

"We need to come up with something." (Y/n) interrupted him, and looked at both Zlatko and Odin's corpses. "Odin wanted Connor, right? To sell him. That's why he needed Zlatko to get rid of me and to immobilize him."

The boy didn't bother answering.

"Mikolaj, please. Talk to me." She insisted.

"Yes, that was the plan." A female voice from the other corner of the room spoke up. "Odin figured you'd discover the tracker and decide to run away from a potential threat. And he figured you'd leave your dog with Zlatko. Or at least stop by to return the coat."

Freya.

She stood up from beside the man's corpse and dragged herself over to them, towards Mikolaj.

"Mikolaj. Wstań." [tr: Get up.] She spoke firmly, like an order, causing the boy to look up from his lap. "Daj mi broń." [tr: Give me the weapon.]

The boy obeyed hastily, and before Connor could process it, she ripped the gun out of Mikolaj's grip, walked over to Zlatko's corpse, then shot him in the face. Again. Again. Again.

She continued for at least fifteen seconds, then took a step backwards, as if she were satisfied with her work, and looked at (y/n).

"We'll say he shot him." She explained. "And no-one will know who it is. But now what?"

A few seconds of silence followed.

"You should take over." (Y/n) said. "Over Odin's business. You were the deputy. If there's anyone that has the right to do it, it's you."

"And what if someone finds out it wasn't?" Mikolaj growled from behind them. "What if-"

"Me and Connor were running away. You're free to join."

"Where to?"

"New Jersey."

The door opened.

Freya was quick enough to fire at it, and to cause whoever had stepped inside to duck before shouting a helpless, yet somehow strangely calm: "Don't shoot, I'm unarmed."

The silhouette stepped inside again, more cautiously this time. Tall, dark hair, dull eyes.

"Hey, I heard shots." He said simply, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

"Vader?"