Ch. XXVII

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!" (Y/n) raised her voice, anxiety readable from nothing but her expression.

Connor moved his arm, only to realize it had been immobilized by the old machine.

Fuck.

There was nothing he could do.

"If it helps you get over it, I'll have you know that I received quite a convincing amount of money for this." Zlatko stepped away from the keyboard languidly, satisfied little smirk tugging on the left corner of his mouth.

(Y/n)'s entire frame was shaking with anxiety before her gaze quickly found Connor's. The deviant didn't even have to say anything, she had already darted towards him, reaching for the robotic arm.

"Back. Off." The click of a gun could be heard before one was pressed to her temple by none other than Zlatko himself.

Pupils blown wide with fear, she let go of the old plastic, and stepped away from Connor slowly.

"Okay, Zlat." She cautiously raised her hands above her head as if to prove her innocence. "I don't know what the fuck you've gotten us into, but I can get you anything you want. As much Axy as your heart desires. I can get y-"

The gun was rammed against her temple.

"If there's one thing I learned from feisty little brats as yourself it's that working with the big guys pays off." Zlatko growled, sliding the weapon's barrel away from her temple, over her face, pressing it to her lower lip.

She drew in a strangled, fragile breath, eyes glazed with fear, focused on the ceiling.

"Zlatko, please. I don't know wha-"

The lab door bursted open.

Mikolaj. Freya, too, accompanied by the two doberman dogs, and none other than...Odin.

What...

"Mikolaj!" (Y/n) cried out. "Holy fuck, please help, he's-" Zlatko shoved the gun into her mouth. The boy looked away, purposely avoiding both Connor and (y/n)'s glances.

The deviant's metaphorical guts twisted in fear, hands pinned above his head balling into fists. Mikolaj wasn't going to help them, was he?

"I see you've been efficient, Zlatko." That dulcet, raw voice again. Odin. "You've immobilized both of them. Well then, guess there's no need for violence after all. Mikolaj, would you be so kind as to deactivate the deviant and prepare him for transport. Freya, take out Velox."

The young man grunted in approval and approached Connor.

If the deviant would've been able to spit in his face, or spit at all, he probably would have. It really had been Mikolaj behind all of it after all. And Odin. (Y/n)'s gut feeling had been right. He should've been faster. More efficient. He should've been the one protecting her!

Connor scanned his surroundings, unable to come up with any other options. The only one blinked with big, bold letters in his vision, right above his head.

NEGOTIATE WITH MIKOLAJ

Changing the boy's mind was his best bet.

"Why?" Connor opted for a more calculated approach. There was always the chance of unlikely events taking place, he told himself.

Yet Mikolaj didn't even bother to answer Connor's question, instead, gripped the hem of the deviant's shirt.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

A throaty groan of pain could be heard from the other side of the room. (Y/n). Freya had gripped her arms and immobilized her by twisting them behind her back.

"Olesia, please! We're friends. We- You don't have to do this! Please don't-" Her eyes drifted to Connor, then to Mikolaj, who began lifting up the deviant's shirt, reaching for the Thirium pump. "No! Mikolaj! Mikolaj don't you dare fucking touch him! Mikolaj Alfons Jasko, do not-"

Her screams were ear-piercing, and she began kicking, shoving and pushing against Freya as she was dragged out of the lab.

"If you don't get your hands off of him this instant, I swear I'll-"

The sound of flesh and bones colliding, followed by silence. Zlatko had thrown a punch at her face, enough to make blood stream out of her nose.

"Someone needed to shut the bitch up." He justified.

Zlatko's statement was followed by a throaty drag of air from (y/n), and the sound of her spitting.

Blood mixed with saliva, running down the bridge of the man's nose.

"I'm not going down quietly, fucktard." She growled, straining against Freya's grip, her gaze and voice dripping with venom.

"Are you honestly going to let Freya kill her. After all you've been through?" Connor asked, looking at the boy's hand. Rested right above his Thirium pump, almost threateningly. "Are you going to kill me, as well? What are you going to gain from it? Acceptance? Money? Praise? What are you trying to achieve?"

"Shut up." The boy whispered, nails digging into the synthskin, around his Thirium pump.. "Shut up, please."

"You can kill me, I won't protest." Connor spoke. And he didn't. A grunt was the only thing that slipped past his lips as soon as Mikolaj had removed the pump regulator. Connor realized he felt...strangely calm for someone on the verge of dying.

Vital biocomponent removed.

00 : 01 : 37 until shutdown

He inhaled throatily to cool down his systems, then continued. "But why her? If you let this happen, you won't be able to bring (y/n) back. She's not a machine. Her brain isn't numbers and algorithms. She's human, she-"

Connor hadn't even noticed Mikolaj pull the gun out of his belt. It happened faster than his highly functioning processors could understand. Next thing he knew, his audioprocessors reported a sudden, sharp sound of roughly 175 decibels. A fired gun.

The deviant could only watch Odin's suddenly lifeless, mechanical body drop to the floor like a puppet without strings, a bullet hole created straight through his right eye.

Freya seemed to freeze, eyes as wide as a deer's in front of headlights, almost boring another hole through the deadly wound in Odin's skull.

The woman drew in a desperate breath, letting go of (y/n), who dropped to her knees weakly, coughing up some more blood.

Freya rushed to the man's corpse, her stress levels practically exploding before she looked at Mikolaj and shouted accusingly:

"Zabiłeś go!" [tr: You killed him!]

The boy reached up to his head, backing away from Connor and looking at Freya fearfully.

"Kurwa!" [Tr: Fuck!] Mikolaj spat and gripped his hair with one hand, the other wrapping around the gun more tightly. "Kurwa! Jest- Jestem-" [Tr: Fuck! I- I am-]

"You killed Odin!" She screamed at him again, desperation in her voice. "They're gonna kill us! We're fucked!"

Zlatko was already backing away to the lab door, palms up in submission as he did.

"Listen, Freya, this is your kid. I didn't have anything to do-" Zlatko began, only to be cut off by another small explosion, of once again roughly 175 decibels.

That was all it took for Zlatko to shut up too. This time, Mikolaj had shot the man's forehead.

"Miko. Miko, look at me." (Y/n) spoke up from the other side fo the room, slowly approaching the boy.

He rushed to point the gun at her too. His entire lithe frame was shaking.

"Put the gun down. It's alright. It's alright. We've got time until anyone finds out. We can think this through."

Connor bit his lip to stifle a grunt of pain. His vision was going red, pulsating in spite of his missing pump.

00 : 00 : 46 until shutdown

"(Y/n)..." He called out, voicebox fluctuating, allowing nothing but a broken whisper to leave his mechanical lungs.