Ch. XXXIII

It did take some decent arm strength to be able to hoist oneself up onto the car roof, Connor noticed, especially as a human.

Him, as an Android, encountered no issues along the way, and thankfully (y/n), as someone experienced in these kinds of things, hadn't either.

The highway was almost empty, save for Pavel's car and the truck, considering the late hour. He felt more than thankful for that.

The wind, coming from the fact that they had both climbed onto the roof of a moving (and fast at that as well) car, was messing up the deviant's hair, and causing his optical units to malfunction in the slightest.

"Let me do it." Connor offered and nodded at the knife between (y/n)'s teeth.

The young woman shook her head no, and before he could even protest, she cautiously moved towards the front of the car, sliding down the windshield, stopping on the hood.

She raised her hand, palm towards Connor, signaling him to wait before looking at Pavel through the windshield, nodding towards the truck.

Seconds later, the car sped up, the cold wind whipping against his cheeks now, cold and hot at the same time.

(Y/n) looked back up at Connor, smiling as well as one could while holding a knife between their teeth, then made the jump.

Quick, agile, precise, it looked like she had been made for it-Like some kind of cat, spider, or a combination between the two.

She took out the knife from between her teeth, holding onto a handle with one hand, lodging the blade into the small crack between the two doors. A grunt of frustration and a hearty push against it later, she had managed to force it open, took the blade between her teeth again and disappeared inside the vehicle.

Connor carefully approached the windshield, ducking down to find balance as he jumped onto the hood of the car.

Before he even knew it, (y/n) returned with the first package, and threw it at him.

He caught it, somewhat clumsily, clutching the box to his chest for a few seconds before turning around to hand it over to Mikolaj, who was already waiting for it on the passenger seat.

Rinse and repeat for roughly two minutes.

Until (y/n) peeked out from between the truck's backdoors, gesturing for Connor to join, then disappearing inside the truck again.

He made his way towards the front, ignoring the asphalt that dizzily and quickly disappeared under the car's bumper.

If he fell, this'd be the end.

There'd be no-one left to fix him.

Connor clenched his hands into fists, adjusting his posture, tensing his legs, preparing to jump.

He had to make it.

With one last glance at the small edge of the truck he should be landing on, rerunning his calculations, he jumped.

Only to realize someone had brusquely slowed down the car, and lengthened the distance between the two vehicles.

His calculations had been for nothing.

Even if he was going to make it, he wouldn't be able to regain balance. The space he was supposed to land on was too small, his jump too short.

"Got you!" (Y/n)'s voice suddenly rang in his ear, and he found himself being pulled inside the truck.

He almost fell, yet the young woman was fast enough to give him all the necessary support needed to regain balance.

Connor wouldn't have ever thought standing on something sturdy would feel this soothing. He took a deep breath as (y/n)'s grip tightened on his arm.

She had raided just enough boxes to create a small space, barely enough to fit four people.

"What were you thinking? You could've fallen!"

"Someone slowed down the car." He answered.

"Someone - what?" She whisper-shouted. "Pavel that-" (Y/n) inhaled shakily, perhaps in a hopeless attempt to calm herself. "Tell Miko and Vader to join us. Or stay, for all I fucking care. Jesus Christ, I-"

Stress levels rising again, she put her hand on the bridge of her nose, pinching it.

"I'm alright." Connor attempted to soothe her.

"You life was literally hanging on a string." She said, bit her lip, then let go of her nose. "Okay, it's okay. You're okay. This is fine. Fuck."

"I'll let them know that they should join us. Sit down somewhere and be quiet."  Connor advised, gently setting a hand on (y/n)'s shoulder and pushing her down carefully, towards a corner created by the boxes.

After both Mikolaj and Vader had safely made it into the truck, Connor smiled at Pavel through the windshield, then shot one of the front wheels before disappearing inside the vehicle.

A fitting goodbye.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Connor estimated roughly 1 hour to have passed since he had boarded the truck. Mikolaj, Vader, (y/n) and him had all settled in one corner of the small space each, staying mostly silent.

"This dude must be deaf or something." Mikolaj spoke up, looking at his injured hand, readjusting the improvised bandage made from a piece of his shirt he had cut off. (Y/n) glanced at him apologetically, yet didn't dare say anything.

"Looks like it. He's still on the route to Cyberlife, as far as I can tell, so at least there's that." Vader announced, keeping his voice low. It sounded rather strange to hear him whisper, considering his already deep, throaty voice.

"What do we do once we get there?" (Y/n) asked.

"We'll be brought into the storage room, where they'll unpack the boxes, presumably in the morning. That gives us enough time to make our way outta there, to the rest of the facility. Unless...well, unless they're gonna unpack them immediately, in which case we're fucked."

"We die like men, Vadey." Mikolaj spoke up, tossing something at Vader. The other boy easily caught it. A gun. He handed another weapon to Connor. "And like Androids."

"Androids can't die." Connor clarified. "They're not alive. Just functional."

The deviant heard (y/n) huff in amusement, and looked at her, only to notice she was already watching him, a mix amusement and affection in her gaze.

"Should've told Pavel that before he slammed the brakes in the hopes of killing you." Mikolaj chuckled.

"I knew it! That fucker!" Came a growl from (y/n)'s corner. "So it was on purpose."

"Never underestimate an idiot." Vader smiled, white teeth flashing wolfishly in the dim light.

"I shot the car's front wheel. Does that make me an idiot?" Connor chimed in.

"Up for debate." Mikolaj decided.