[Tohru Adachi] - Behind the Glass

[THERE ARE SOME SPOILERS! PLEASE SKIP IF YOU WISH!]

[In which you decide to visit Adachi, but he doesn't want any business with you. Or so it seems.]

_____________

Your downcast eyes blinked back any tears that threatened to fall as your hands gripped the sides of your arms. You were in the detention center where Adachi was held in, along with Dojima sitting beside you. His usual strict demeanor turned into a somber one with his eyes looking down on the floor of the drab building. It had been a couple of months since Adachi's arrest pertaining to the serial murder cases in Inaba.

During those months, you told yourself that you weren't going to visit him at all, that you were sure that you would break down even before going into the room where you could talk to him. But now, you convinced yourself to see him, after all, you were both partners working under Dojima.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this, Y/N?" Dojima asked, breaking the silence.

You turned to him to see a sad glint in his eyes and nodded slightly to him. You had came all the way here, so what was the point in turning back? Dojima gave a slight squeeze on your shoulder for comfort which relieved a bit of your nervousness.

Suddenly, a police guard open the door, a rush of sudden adrenaline taking the place of your anxiety.

"Tohru Adachi is ready now for you, miss," he stated, his monotone voice filling your ears. His hand motioned for you to go through the door that would lead you to Adachi. You glanced through the door to see him sitting on a chair behind the glass, looking unamused.

You gulped quietly and began to stand up from your seat, your heels making an echoing click on the floor. Dojima stayed seated, with his hands fumbling around. He felt sympathy for you, and hoped that Adachi would take it easy on you. After all, who knows what Adachi could say that might make you fall apart?

You went through the door and the guard closed the door after he made sure you were in the room.

Adachi looked up to see you, looking small and fragile as ever. You peered through the glass and sat down on a grey chair across Adachi. His unkempt figure was the same, but his eyes seemed...softer?

"Well, well, what brings you here Y/N?" he mockingly said, or so he tried to make it seem that way.

"I'm here for you," you quietly responded, your voice quivering with anxiety.

He sighed, and brushed his hair back with his slender fingers. He didn't want anything to do with you at all, he kept telling himself this everyday since he was locked up. But everytime he repeated those words in his head, there was always a small tug in his heart, well if her even had one.

"So, how've you been?" you asked trying to strike up a conversation.

"Better than Dojima-san's grueling training, I'll give you that," he scoffed, a sarcastic smile showing.

You laughed a bit, very much agreeing to Adachi's comment. After all, you had endured Dojima's training along with him, so you knew what he was talking about. Your anxiety had lessened somehow, with your shoulders feeling less tense and some confidence building up in you.

He was taken back by your sudden laughter. Why would you be laughing at a murder's joke? He sighed again.

'You really are a troublesome one aren't you, Y/N?" he thought.

"Don't tell Dojima," he joked again. You laughed again, feeling like you were having fun with Adachi, like old times. A sad smile appeared on your face, concerning Adachi for just a second.

"What an ugly face."

"Adachi...!"

_______________

As seconds turned into minutes, your time was up with Adachi. He looked happy that his time was over with you, but felt...sad. Even if it was just for a second, it surprised him. Usually, he wouldn't react like this, not anyone.

The guard opened the door and motioned for you to exit and say your goodbyes to Adachi. You nodded slightly, and straightened your skirt out. Adachi turned away, a light shade, an almost unnoticeable blush appearing on his face.

"I'll see you again, Adachi," you assured to him as you began to walk out, wanting to let him know that this wouldn't be the last time he would see you.

"Then I'll make sure to decline your request," he replied with his trademark sarcasm.

"I don't think you will, besides, you had fun today!"

You finally went out the door, leaving Adachi to himself with a dumbfounded expression.

"She's such an idiot. Trying to make me feel like this..." Adachi mumbled. He thought he didn't want anything to do with you, but he did after all. Adachi wanted to cut all ties with you, but he knew that could never happen. The bonds he made with others were really troublesome. But he couldn't help but have a small smile after your visit today.

Maybe having bonds weren't so bad.

----------------------------

Why did I have to make an angsty oneshot again D: But I'm really glad with how it turned out. I had to think really hard about what Adachi would say and I kept referring back to the part in Ultimax when he talks with Dojima at the end of his chapter!

Anyways, I hope you all liked this chapter <3 <3 <3

-reverse-lights