9. What We've Done

"I-I can't stop thinking about The Diamonds. I'm starting to ponder whether or not leaving their rule was the best choice."

     "What do you mean? It was the only choice, wasn't it?" asked Lapis.

     "Yeah, but.. I don't know, with all the Gems that left them... I mean, wouldn't The Diamonds be upset?"

     "Of course, but this wasn't about them. The Diamonds had no part in the danger that caused everyone to leave. Even the Gems that left didn't leave because of them. Well, except for Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl."

     "Still... I.." Peridot stopped.

     "Peri, please. I'm sorry I interrupted, just-just tell me what's up, ok?"

     "Ok." Breathe, breathe you idiot... Thought the girl. She had trouble starting, but eventually, she found some words to start with. "The Diamonds were so intimidating. They still are, but.. I was young when I became a Gem. Like, eleven, twelve-ish? I was really into it. We were free to be us, within our community. Even if we had limits on who we could be with, we were still sorta free to be ourselves. We were protected by The Diamonds, if we weren't traitorous. A-And I was never a rebel, so punishment for treason was never a possibility for me, in my eyes." Lapis nodded, listening intently. "I-I started doing tasks after school for The Authority, and word got out that, I, a young kid, was-quote-very ready-unquote to devote full service to The Diamonds." Lapis looked about to say something, but kept quiet to let her friend continue. Nervous, Peridot's hands fidgeted with the corner of her pillow. "I was scared at first, because Yellow and Blue were still cold from the loss of Pink Diamond, and rumor was that White was about to be called upon. That never happened, of course, but nobody knew that the statement was bluff, so.. Uhm, I panicked at first, but I started meeting Blue and Yellow." Peridot's throat burned and ached. "I was the smartest in my classes, I can't believe I couldn't see it. And for years, I.. I went along with whatever they said. Eventually, I started helping them engineer things."

     "Wha-engineered what?"

...

     Lapis couldn't concentrate. She had stayed up nearly all night on the balcony her and Peridot built months ago. She sat on the couch on the balcony and rest her head in her lap, thinking. She still couldn't believe it.

     Lapis didn't know whether or not to be afraid of what Peridot could be making in secret, she had no idea if she should eave her either.. The rings she wanted to give her... She would be giving them to somebody who-as a twelve-year-old-effectively managed to create ultra-guns for The Clusters. Somebody who was blind and devoted enough to The Diamonds to give them the formulas and tips to create the ultimate genocidal gas called Corruption. Lapis didn't know whether to help Peridot with the guilt, or to leave her. To either comfort and remain with her or to rat her out to the Crystal Gems. It was terrible, and of course, they'd be coming after the loss of their star engineer. Lapis was, to say the least, pissed, but now she'd have to pick a side. Peridot, who may or may not be truly loyal to that of Beach City, or the Crystal Gems, who were glued to their freedom and ready to fight the Authority.

     The bluenette sighed. Peridot opened the sliding wood door to the balcony and paused before stepping outside. "Lapis?" She said. "I-I know I haven't been this honestly straight with you, and I'm at fault for that, but I've been worrying about The Diamonds since-since forever! The worries were just buried under all the joys Beach City has to offer, what you have to offer... And with those worries was the need to tell you about what I've done.. But in my defense, you haven't told me anything about your role in the Authority."

     Lapis was shocked, and opened and closed her mouth once, breathless before being able to speak. "Peridot, this isn't about me! I didn't make two murder weapons and mass-produce them under the table to be used by command by Yellow Diamond!" Shouted Lapis.