21. Lookout

It's been a week. Lapis and Peridot seldom texted, but when they did, it wasn't as chaotic. Lapis wanted to keep up with what was going on in Beach City. and she did so through Peridot. During the time Lapis was gone, Mayor Dewey had convinced a few small towns to work together to protect themselves along with Beach City, but that was the only luck. Places like Empire City and those beyond that of the Delmarva Peninsula had laughed. It was terrifying that they did, because now, they didn't have the chance.

     Peridot and Pearl were on a nightly lookout, and Garnet on daily. They were searching for flares, a now-known warning sign of the Diamond's forces. Lapis found ways to soothe Peridot's anxiety, for she knew that the small places that they've trained weren't quite ready-and even if they were-they're just too few to fend the Authority off for long. Peridot first gave it a week. With Lapis trying to heighten her hopes, she shifted to a week and three days.

Me:  Trust me, youll all be fine. Pearl and Garnet are amazing at combat, and dont forget Jasper.

Peri:  Yeah, but the rest of the town isn't as buff or mentally sharpened for times like these. They're used to tourists and economical struggle, not war!

     Lapis sighed looking over those two text, and thought about how to reply. She didn't know what to say that she hasn't said already. She didn't know if Peridot was even truly listening.

Me:  Please just have hope.

     A minute passed.

Peri:  Ok.

     The bluenette smiled and put her phone down, looking around the room. An old friend of hers had let her stay in her apartment in Empire City, and boy was it huge. The kitchen counter, which Lapis sat at, was long and wooden, and behind it was a nicely polished kitchen and a shelf of bottles. This leaked into the living room, with a large flat-screen, soft white couches, and tons of video games. The girl felt so guilty. She wished she could take Peridot here and play video games until the bullets struck. But she couldn't, and it wasn't a very realistic thought either. Peridot wouldn't give up on her town for video games.

     There was a single knock on the door before it opened. This girl, ironically, also went by the name Lapis, though because she was a few months late to the start of the Gem foundation, she went along as Lapis Blue instead of Lazuli. That was fine by the terms of our main bluenette, because the two, when together, would go by last names to avoid getting mixed up.

     They met online a couple years back when Blue was doing a video game channel on YouTube, going by her gem name. The two bonded over having the same gem name, the decided to meet up in Empire City. The apartment was the same as it is now, but not as fancy. It was casual then, but time has molded Blue into a true Youtuber, and she was able to afford much nicer things than our Lapis could imagine. She never knew Empire City was so close to Beach City, in fact, that was the only place she knew outside of her old town. Now, thankfully, she had a place to stay with one of her best friends.

     "Sup Lapis." Blue called setting her black purse on the counter.

     "Hey Lapis." Lazuli replied. they paused, then laughed a little.

     "How's your friend doing?" Blue asked.

     Dammit, she's talking about Peridot. "Oh, she's fine. She's getting the city ready for the fight and all that."

     "I should probably send them some weapons then, huh?"

     "Blue!"

     "I got the money!"

     "Yeah, yeah." Lazuli rested her head in her arms on the counter. "I miss her. I want to go back, but I can't."

     "Why do we always have to talk about this?" Blue got some liquor and sat on her couch, sipping. "If you want to go, just go. They'll be grateful that you've returned to them."

     "I know, I'm just nervous." Lapis-our own-walked over to her friend and stole a sip of her drink. It was disgusting, and she swallowed hard. The T.V was turned on, and the two began watching Law and Order.

After a few episodes, night had come, and Lazuli got a text from the blonde.

Peri:  Can you help me look out?

     Lapis chuckled at her phone.

Me:  You know I cant see anything from here!

Peri:  Right. Sorry, I keep slipping up and stressing. Then I forget that you're not close by. At all.

Me:  Ill watch the stars with you though

Peri:  Ugh, ok.

     "Blue," called Lazuli, "I'm going on the roof!"

     "What!? But we just reached the finale!"

     "I know, but Peridot want's me to lookout."

     Blue scoffed. "Oh, alright, just don't fall asleep up there, 'cuz I probably won't remember until three in the morning." The two laughed, and Lazuli went to the roof.

     Despite the slight blockage of city lights, the stars shown beautifully in the night. Lapis sighed, wishing Peridot had the time to look at the stars instead of the sky itself.

Me:  Im looking out.

Peri:  Ok.

     About four hours passed, and Lapis was about to text a 'goodnight' to Peridot when she got a text from the girl herself.

Peri:  i wish you wer here to confrm whether our not im seeing things

     Lapis became suddenly alarmed. Not only because of what Peridot said, but because there was no effort to keep her text grammatically correct and well spell-checked.

Me:  Peridot, whats going on!

     There was no reply.

Me:  Perdiot, answer me!

     A few seconds passed, and they felt like minutes

Peri:  no time Lapis Im sorry!

Me:  Sorry for what?!

     Nothing.

A wild cliffhanger appears!

Author decides to take a bit and ponder their next move like the rest of the cliche writers with cliffhangers in their sights!

Also, because this is a cliffhanger, Author cannot continue with the normal second chapter.

They will, however, spam readers with three chapters in a row at the next upload.

Until then, they will meet you in the comment section, letting you otherwise suffer!

Lol