14. Except It

Jasper sighed deeply in her head and blinked. "Um, hello? What do you want?"

     Peridot's hands were shaking slightly, and she ran one through her hair. "Oh! Uh-yeah-sorry, I just wanted to talk with Lapis for a split second, uh, is she around?"

     "Why wouldn't she be? She sure as hell isn't hooking back up with you right now."

     "Yes, I got that. Can-can I come in, or should I just not risk breaking a hole in your walls or something?" Jasper looked at her friend, who nodded from the couch. She moved so Peridot could get inside, but began to shut the door on Amethyst.

     "Yo, what the hell?" She exclaimed.

     "I'm pretty sure she just wants to see Peridot." Jasper said.

     "Did you ask her?"

     "Go away Amy, not right now." Lapis called. Amethyst scoffed and was about to walk away when Peridot grabbed her arm.

     "Wait, hold on." The blonde began. "Jasper," she said, looking up at the buff girl, "I would love to have a conversation with Lapis inside, and only inside this house. But, I refuse to come and talk to her if Amethyst isn't allowed inside as well."

     "This is my house. I'll let whoever I want inside."

     "Jasper-"

     "Perido-"

     "Fucking let her inside!" Shouted the blonde. Jasper was taken aback by the outburst, and frowned, reluctantly letting the darker girl in, and shutting the door with a slam behind her.

     "Ok Peridot, what do you want?" Asked Lapis. Jasper stayed by the door, ready to throw out Amethyst and Peridot when necessary. Peridot folder her hands at chest level and took a deep inhale and exhale before speaking.

     "Lapis, uh, we've had some time to cool off-I guess-and I just wanted to apologize for pushing things. B-Being, I suppose, a bit dramatic, I know I shouldn't have snapped as I had either." Lapis wore a small frown. "And-and I would've used more time to think about what wrong I've done, but you also ordered harm on Amethyst, which was, I believe, un-called for." Lapis grunted. "I knew i couldn't just sit there. And, you know, I've changed a lot since I've worked for-them-and you should know I won't ever purposefully hurt you."

     "So.."

     "So, I get why your upset with me, and I'm not mad you left to figure things out or whatever, but I don't want you mad at me anymore, and I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of that argument."

     Jasper rolled her eyes. Pathetic beggar. "Look Peridot." Lapis said. "I appreciate your trying to bring peace to us both, but I can't yet accept your apology."

     "Wh-what? O-ok-why?"

     "Look, I just can't. I can't accept this. I'm sorry, I want to, but I can't right now. I-I just need a bit of time."

     Peridot sighed and turned to walk away. "Time? O-ok. Take your time. Take another day or two. A week. Damn, take until we're at gunpoint to forgive me." She opened the door to leave.

     "Wait, what? Peri-" Amethyst started. Jasper cut her off.

     "What do you mean by gunpoint?" The blonde froze.

...

     The screen door to Steven's house slammed open, and in dashed Peridot, followed by an exhausted Amethyst. "Steven! Get Garnet and Pearl and tell 'em to make space for everyone in the living room!" The girl stumbled coming into the kitchen, frantically getting a glass of water and chugging it. "Oh! And call Connie too! She needs to be here."

     "Uh, what's going on?" Asked the boy.

     "Some kinda meeting." Amethyst said, gasping for air.

     "The meeting, Amethyst!" Called Peridot, chugging another glass of water. "Everyone has to be here ASAP!"

     Steven got his phone. "Ok, but what's it about?"

     "I'll explain when everyone's here, just get Connie to come and-and I'll go grab Garnet."

...

     "Oh stars, oh stars.." A pale girl said, trying to breathe. Gunshots and screams of fear and death erupted around her.

     "Shut up and get to shooting." Said the girl's superior beside her. Her hair was curly and bright orange, and she dressed in a fancy white waistcoat, a tie, and white boots. The woman stood up from her knelt position. "I'm gonna bring down the back, and we'd better meet as the base around the same time or I'm not coming for you."

     "Ok." With that, the woman ran off to begin stabbing at the resisting citizens of Florida. The girl ran a hand through her blonde hair and readied her gun. It was a pistol with auto-reload and bullets that burnt on the inside to melt the shot victim's flesh around the bullet wound. The girl breathed in and out three times before rounding the opposite corner of her superior, shooting at a citizen in between his eyes.

     She almost felt bad-almost-but the guilt never lasted. She had just started the job, and she couldn't think about what she had to do; she just had to do it. The Diamonds needed to take back their people, and take back they shall. Though she was a rookie, the young peridot didn't dare disappoint Hessonite, her superior, or her Diamond, Yellow.

     The blonde shot at the people of Florida, swallowing her panic and guilt as she did so. Her hands shook as she fired, and she ducked away from the defensive gunshots and rolled in the wake of teargas. The Quartz soldiers, with Diamond patches on their jackets, charged in with their swords, guns, and bats. Some wrestled for power over citizens. The Authority was taking over quickly. Police were scrambling to protect Florida's citizens, but they couldn't get their weapons drawn fast enough. The Clusters from the roof shot them down, their bloody bodies falling crippled to the ground. No sheild nor cloud of smoke could hide them all. Hessonite came out of building she just entered, calling to the girl to rush to her. With the cover of the soldiers, the two dashed on, letting them capture and kill those on the streets. The Clusters kept firing. The chaos continued.

     The news-people are definitely reporting this, thought the girl, but I shouldn't worry. My Diamond will rid this country of traitors soon enough. They've already proven too slow for us. They've already tried to deny our coming.

   Though without paying attention to whos really in charge.