18. Disappointment

"At least Lapis need to drive herself. She's such a clod sometimes..." She would've been my clod if I haven't said anything about my past occupations. Thought the blonde. She blinked, surprised that it came to mind. Still, she couldn't argue with herself-she didn't have the energy. The girl stood up, letting the cool breeze brush against her neck and back. 

     It was a day before the year-long anniversary their arrival in Beach City-if Lapis left, she wouldn't commit to it like Jasper and Peridot. She wouldn't celebrate being part of the society, she wouldn't help the society. Lapis wouldn't do anything. Peridot sighed. Her chest was heavy. She was scared. She was anxious, scared, worried for Lapis and herself, and upset. With what, she didn't know. She just knew what she felt.

     Peridot retreated to Steven's house, knocking on the door with a shaky hand. Steven was reading a book on his bed, and his eyes looked puffy. Garnet and Amethyst were talking quietly when the blonde stepped into the room. She waved nervously, not wanting to interrupt the conversation or draw attention to herself. She failed at both.

     "Who let you in?" Garnet asked.

     "Nobody, but, we gotta do things for ourselves now, right? Or I do. I sorta burned a bridge, and I need to rebuild it. And it looks like you're not helping me with that, so.."

     "Peridot, don't. I don't need an argument right now."

     "Who was trying to start one?"

     Amethyst sighed. "Peridot, please shut the fuck up. Please."

     The blonde sighed, and walked over to Steven. He seemed spaced out. "Hey, what're you reading?" She asked. The boy flinched hearing her voice and hesitated to answer her.

     "Something about Familiars. It's hard to explain." Steven sounded depressed, drained of all energy and interest in everything. Peridot noticed dry tear drop stains on the page.

     "Oh. W-Where's Pearl?"

     Steven paused. "I don't know where she went. Probably to look for Lapis." He mumbled. "She's mad at me."

     It was obvious what Pearl had done. Steven's jaw looked stiff, and shook, hanging for a slightly ope mouth. Peridot didn't know how to reply. Suddenly, Pearl walked inside, looking to Peridot, and then to Garnet, who approached her with a tightly closed mouth. Garnet backhanded Pearl, who just stood and took it. She didn't even move her face back to look at the dark woman who had struck her. "You don't ever hurt that boy as you did." Garnet demanded in a hushed and deep tone of voice. "Never, understand? We're in too hard of times for you to strike him, especially as intensely as you had. And over Lapis? If she wants to leave, then let her. Her loyalty lies with nobody, and if she doesn't like us or trust us enough to stay for protection, then let that disloyal bag of trash leave! Do you understand?"

     Peridot fought the urge to say something, but Garnet had a point. Though, Peridot still had a heart for Lapis and a need to defend her. She swallowed it. "I understand." Pearl said.

     "Good. Peridot," called Garnet, "I talked to the mayor, and he agreed with the act of combining the states and forming militia groups. Are you coming?"

     "I-I might as well." The girl walked down the stairs, waving to Steven, and leaving the room.