5 | Outrageous Promises

Hushed chatter filled the classroom as I pointlessly tried to focus on my calculus worksheet

Hushed chatter filled the classroom as I pointlessly tried to focus on my calculus worksheet. Math normally came easy to me, but my mind was so distracted that I couldn't even focus on the simplest of equations. I hadn't stopped thinking about what happened under the bleachers. How could one boy be so frustrating? The conversation had been repeating in my head all weekend, taunting me as I thought of better insults and threats I could have used.

"Chloe," Karen poked me with her pencil to grab my attention, continuing once I looked up at her, "Did you see Finn's new outrageous promises?"

I sighed, nodding. "He swears he'll get Principal Fulton replaced with the lead singer of Dream Sequence. Ha-ha, very funny, I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes," I deadpanned.

"It's not funny when half the freshman girls believe him," Anita chimed in, twirling a strand of her long, black hair between her fingers. "Apparently his uncle's ex-wife's cousin is married to a guy who's best friends with one of his security guards."

I laughed, but both girls looked at me seriously. "You're kidding. Even if that were true— which I sincerely doubt it is— there's no way Wesley Gash would waste his time doing something like that!"

"Maybe, but that won't stop a bunch of fourteen-year-old fangirls from voting for Finn just in case," Anita said, frowning as she averted her eyes to the math sitting on her desk.

I huffed, sinking back into the uncomfortable chair. Finn was playing dirty, getting a boyband involved in his scheme and tricking all the naive girls into voting for him.

"What are you gonna do about him?" Karen asked, her bright blue eyes sending a worried glance to our teacher, who couldn't seem to care less about the constant talking coming from every table in the room.

I tried not to scowl at the redhead across from me. I'd already been trying to take care of Finn, but my actions so far had clearly done nothing.

Friday in seventh period I bribed bottom-dwelling-sophomore Michael Walker to help me, promising I'd get him a date with any girl of his choice in return. I put him to work, telling him to hang around after school and tear down each and every one of Finn's ludicrous posters. But to my ultimate annoyance, the halls were decorated today with even gaudier advertisements for Finn's campaign. He had huge banners decorated with pictures of Wesley Gash, supermodels that he promised to have cheerleading at football games, and his own dumb face. It was like he knew what I was going to do, and he'd been prepared for it.

There was also my failed effort to denounce his claims. I tried to spread the rumor that Finn's campaign was a hoax, that he was a plant from Principal Fulton and the two of them had an agreement: Finn would become president and do whatever Fulton said, and all his suspensions and detentions would be wiped from his permanent record. I told everyone to spread the word that if Finn was voted into office he would not only not deliver on any of his promises, but would be a pawn of Fulton's. Unfortunately, it was too outlandish to believe, especially with the longstanding feud between Fulton and Milton's most notorious rebel. By lunchtime, the rumor was as good as dead.