34 | People Are Already Talking

this chapter's dedicated to athousandwordss , for being such a chloe stan! lol hope you enjoy 💜

I didn't get detention for the rest of my life, but I did get it for the next two weeks

I didn't get detention for the rest of my life, but I did get it for the next two weeks. According to Fulton, it was a lenient punishment for the stunt I pulled— I wasn't so sure, since the thirty-minute lecture in his office seemed like more than enough to me.

In the most boring outcome possible, no one else got in enough trouble to get a Monday afternoon detention, which meant I was alone. And this time there was no task— no collecting trash, or sharpening pencils, or scraping gum off the underside of desks. Half of me was thankful, but the other half felt like she was about to pass out from boredom.

The only two people unlucky enough to be in detention were me and Mr. Vega. He was perched behind his desk, fingers clicking away at his keyboard. I sat in the second row, drumming my fingers on the desk. My stomach growled for its usual afterschool snack and my mouth watered at the thought of the granola bar I had tucked away in the bag at my feet, among the pages of homework that for some reason, I wasn't allowed to work on. I guess the idea was to sit and think about what I'd done— which admittedly, I was doing, just probably not in the way Fulton would've hoped.

After going back and forth all day, sitting by as my brain replayed the scene and insisted it was a stupid idea, I'd finally come to a conclusion: I was proud of myself.

It was a little embarrassing knowing that everyone at Milton High had been listening in on my big apology, but I was glad I did it. And honestly, the reaction had been totally different from what I expected. Where I thought I'd be met with laughter and pointed fingers, I was given compliments of "that was badass!" and pats on the back.

It made me laugh a little, to be honest— I'd been trying my whole high school career to get people to like me and think I was cool, and the one time I did something without that motive ended up being the most effective. I guessed Finn really was right: everyone loves a rebel.

There you go, thinking about Finn again. I thought as my stomach sunk. What is that, the millionth time since lunch? 

He hadn't given me the slightest indication that he even heard my announcement, let alone that he wanted to go on a date with me. It was hard not to feel disappointed, but I knew in my heart that I'd really tried to make things right. At the very least, I'd overcome my superficial worries and tried to fix what I'd broken. And even if it didn't feel like it, I knew that was enough.

Mr. Vega stood from his desk, offering me a smile of pity as he held up his coffee mug. "I'm going to get some coffee from the lounge. I'll only be a second, so no funny business, alright?"