7 | Thanks Anyway

I sat across from Principal Fulton, my back resting against the lumpy chair on the opposite side of his large wooden desk

I sat across from Principal Fulton, my back resting against the lumpy chair on the opposite side of his large wooden desk. I couldn't believe I was already resorting to such a drastic measure— Finn just didn't seem to care about anything I had tried so far, and I didn't know how else to get to someone like him.

"I'm here to talk to you about Finn Harrell. I don't understand how he's allowed to run for student body president," I stated, keeping firm eye contact with the grey-haired man across from me. Fulton's office was a plain mixture of various shades of beige, lacking any kind of enthusiasm— much like Fulton's own expression as he listened to me. "Finn's whole campaign is inappropriate, and his track record alone should be enough evidence that he'd make a terrible president."

"Chloe, I'm going to be straight with you," Fulton said, letting out a sigh as he picked up a stray pen from his desk and began to fiddle with it. "You're an excellent student and have a great reputation among the staff— and the students too, as far as I can tell. I doubt I'd be able to find anyone better suited for the position of student body president. Now, it's also no secret that I don't like Finn. I think he's a troublemaker, plain and simple. He's done nothing but cause me problems for the past four years."

He leaned back in his chair, giving a defeated shrug. "But he's allowed to run, and people are allowed to vote for him. Administration has talked to him about certain... inappropriate promises he's made, and he agreed to make adjustments to his posters."

"So he's allowed to keep making a mockery of this race, and there's nothing I can do?" I asked, annoyance seeping into the question.

"I'm afraid so," he said, watching as I stood up, preparing to leave. If this wasn't going to get me anywhere, I had better places to be. "You and I both know Finn wouldn't be happy in office— his decisions all have to go through school staff, meaning he'd never get the things he wants. I tried explaining this to him, but he didn't seem to care. I'm guessing he thinks he can find a loophole."

"Thanks anyway," I said, opening the door and walking through the office, out into the hall. A few students sat in groups eating their lunches, and the sight of their food made my stomach growl, angry about its delayed meal time. I started in the direction of the cafeteria, but on my way through the halls, I noticed something: the walls were much less crowded than they had been on my way to the office. There were now empty spaces between my posters and Finn's, and as I shifted my gaze ahead, I saw the reason why.

Preston was standing near the end of the corridor, one hand filled with posters, the other working to take another one down. He turned to face me, smiling as I hurried over. My pulse quickened as I neared— I hated that he obviously knew something I didn't.

"Hey," he greeted, moving along to the next poster. I stepped over the feet of a few freshmen who had their legs splayed out into the hall, sending them a slight glare before focusing back on Preston.

"Is there a reason you're taking down all your posters?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. He peeled the taped construction paper from the wall before turning to meet my curious stare.