14 | Friends

I was once again distracted by Emily's house as I drove up the long driveway, the home looking like something out of a magazine against the evening sky

I was once again distracted by Emily's house as I drove up the long driveway, the home looking like something out of a magazine against the evening sky. I pulled up to the double garage, parking in front of one of the large, white doors.

I felt small as I walked across the sidewalk and up the stairs to her front door, and couldn't help bouncing on my feet after ringing the bell, hoping Emily would be the one to answer the door. I was usually good with introductions, but I already felt intimidated by the type of people who could own such a behemoth of a property.

It was almost a minute before the door opened and my eyes met Emily's. She stood in the large entryway, greeting me with a polite smile. "Hey, come in. Sorry it took me a minute, I was painting in the sunroom." Just as she said the words, I noticed a small smear of green paint on her cheek. For someone who always seemed so collected, the mark was especially endearing.

"Don't worry about it." I walked in as she held open the heavy-looking door. "Sorry I had to change the time and everything."

"It's no problem. It actually works out better this way— my parents went out to a dinner party, so they won't be bothering us or anything."

As she closed the door I couldn't help my eyes from wandering, taking in the elegant looking house. The ceiling was so high that I had to crane my neck back to view the silver chandelier hanging above the marble floors. The nearby spiral staircase lead up to the second floor, which had an open walkway over the entrance. I could see the professional-looking kitchen ahead of us, and a perfect, bright living room to the left. I felt classier just by standing in the house, but I tried not to let my amazement show.

"I brought our notes from yesterday," I said, lifting the backpack on my shoulder. "Should I leave my shoes here?"

"Great, and yeah, anywhere's fine." 

She motioned with her head for me to follow when I was done slipping them off, leading me to the dining room. The sleek glass table was long, with eight fancy embellished chairs surrounding it. Emily pulled one out and I sat in the next one over, the two of us getting to work.

We spent the next hour preparing her speech, going over the different promises and trying to make something that would sound smart without being too boring. Somewhere around six-thirty, the sound of a car door shutting snapped her attention away from our discussion and towards the front door.

"I didn't think they'd be home so early— you want to move this upstairs?" she asked, already standing.

"Uh— yeah, sure. You don't think I should meet them first?" I had no idea what her parents would be like, but I had a hard time imagining they'd be cool with their daughter having a guy in her room without them knowing.

She shrugged as I gathered up the journal and my backpack. "They won't mind. I already told them I was having you over."

I followed her hurried steps as we went back through the house, and I could hear muffled voices  behind the front door as we made our way up the stairs. The second floor was just as fancy, and I couldn't stop myself from admiring a few expensive-looking paintings on the walls as I followed Emily around the corner and down the hall. She stopped to open the door to her room, and I trailed in after her.