35 | Amazingly Enough

Sun shone in through the pizza parlor windows, casting large squares of light on the black and white floor tiles

Sun shone in through the pizza parlor windows, casting large squares of light on the black and white floor tiles. Between the late May weather and the constant heat wafting out from the kitchen behind me, it was almost unbearable in the restaurant— even the thin polo shirt I had to wear felt like too much.

It was a Saturday in the last few weeks of school, and while I wanted nothing more than to be hanging out with Emily by the pool— or in the pool, preferably, so I wouldn't have to be drowning in my own sweat— I was stuck at work. 

The last thing I wanted to do on an eighty-degree day was ring up people's pizza for hours on end, but I knew I'd thank myself later. I'd be heading off to college in the fall and Mom could only help out with money so much. If I didn't work something out now, I'd probably be stuck eating nothing but dollar store ramen for the next four years.

My dad offered me a job at the hardware store again, but I passed in favor of finding somewhere to work where I wouldn't have to argue with my older brother every day. Instead, now I got to argue with a bunch of coworkers I wasn't related to. Not exactly a dodged bullet, but the job was alright. 

I was making enough cash to save most of it for college and still have some spending money left, most of which I spent on dates with Emily. I was looking forward to a summer full of them— movies, concerts, swimming pools and amusement parks kept dancing around in my mind, all combined with the thought of my girlfriend.

I relished in the break of ever-flowing customers, slouching against the red counter and watching a small silver car park in one of the few open spaces in our lot. A familiar face sat behind the wheel, which wore an obnoxiously bright pink, fuzzy cover, complete with a set of leopard spots. I guessed if anyone was going to decorate their car so boldly, it would be Chloe.

"Ay, Preston!" Juan called to me over the chatter of the restaurant as he hurried out of the kitchen, carrying a tray with two greasy pizza slices. "You gonna stand there and daydream, or do what I pay you to?"

"There's no one to ring up," I defended, motioning to the empty space in front of the counter. The tables were packed and I knew the cooks had to be having one hell of a day— I'd been overwhelmed just taking people's orders and handing them their change. It was nice to have a moment to breathe, but I should've known Juan wouldn't let it last.

"Come on, the counter's a mess." He reached for a nearby rag with his free hand and tossed it over to me, making me flinch as I caught it between my hands. "Grab that spray bottle and wipe it down, make yourself useful."

I rolled my eyes as he walked away, looking over to the door as the bell above it jingled. Chloe was walking in, laughing with her boyfriend as he held open the door.

"Hey Preston," she greeted me with a smile as she walked up to the counter, a nice contrast from some of the other customers I had to deal with.

"Hey Chloe, Finn." I smiled back, setting the rag down and stepping towards the register. Finn placed his arm around her shoulders as they looked up at the menu— the public display of affection between the two of them would've shocked me a few months back, but now it would be weirder to not see it.