16 | I Am Upset, Okay?

I sat in my last class of the day, doodling randomly in the margin of my notebook as I let my mind wander

I sat in my last class of the day, doodling randomly in the margin of my notebook as I let my mind wander. A few students rushed in right as the bell rang, making their way to their seats as the PA system clicked on, right on time with its usual schedule.

"Good afternoon, Milton High. This is Principal Fulton with your announcements. First off, congratulations to the debate team, who won last night against Clarence High."

The mention of our rival school made my lips curve up in a half-smile, thoughts drifting to Emily and her expulsion.

I hadn't seen her since the night before, and I still wasn't sure where we stood at the moment— friends, I guessed, but I was almost certain that she'd only said that to shut me up. I wanted to befriend her for real and convince her that with me, she wouldn't have to worry about the pattern of broken friendships repeating itself.

"This is another reminder that voting for student government members will take place at the end of the month, so make sure to decide who'll be getting your vote. Speeches will be given during fourth period next Friday in the auditorium."

I could see in my peripheral vision as a few students turned to look at me. I shifted in my seat, avoiding their eyes. People were obviously curious as to why I dropped out. It wasn't like my campaign with Emily was a secret, but so far the news had only seemed to travel through the jocks and the cheerleaders.

"Lastly, tomorrow evening the annual Milton art show will be held in the gymnasium from five to eight. Feel free to show up any time between then and support your artistic peers, as well as say goodbye to our beloved Mrs. Veer, who's sadly leaving Milton next week. That's all for today! I wish you all a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend."

It was so obvious, and yet somehow I didn't realize it until Fulton said the words: the art show was exactly what I was looking for. It was the perfect way to show Emily I cared.

□▪□▪□

I stood in my room, looking at myself in front of the floor-length mirror next to the bunk bed. My hair was combed neatly, matching my dressier-than-usual outfit: a blue button-up tucked loosely into my nicest pair of dark jeans.

Jason walked in while I was sitting on the floor tugging on my black boots. He gave me one glance and cringed dramatically. "Gross, you have a date?"

I rolled my eyes as he flopped onto the lower bunk, sitting against the numerous pillows. "No, I'm going to a school thing. An art show."

His nose scrunched up as he reached for the laptop on the nearby bedside table, unplugging it from the charger. Typical— he was addicted to the thing, so much so that I was surprised when he even bothered to ask, "Why?"

"My friend is in it, I want to support her," I answered, hopping to my feet. "You know, human interaction. You should try it sometime."

"I have. It sucks," he deadpanned, plugging in his earbuds and hurriedly shoving them in his ears. "Have fun with your girlfriend or whatever."