Chapter One

Chapter One

Rogue turned over and sighed as she heard footsteps approach her cell. She didn't even have a bed to sleep on, or a blanket. Apparently they could be used to hide things, so the prisoners had nothing but a toilet in their cells.

She knew they weren't coming for her because she could hear three sets of footsteps. One set meant one of the scientist had come to check up on the prisoners vital signs. Two sets means guards who had come to collect a prisoner. Three sets meant two guards were bringing a new prisoner, since todays tests were over.

Poor bastard.

He or she would probably be terrified, would look to those around them for comfort and reassurance, only Rogue couldn't offer anything like that, which is why she kept her back turned. The cage next to hers was empty and had been for a little while now, so it was likely that she'd be their new cell mate. She would let the others try to comfort him though, they at least still had hope. There was no point in bringing the new guy or girl down any more than necessary.

The days had blurred into weeks and now she had no clue how long she had been here. There was no natural light here, just the constant glow of the fluorescents overhead. They didn't even turn them down at night.

She heard the electronic ping of the forcefield around a cell being switched off, someone being pushed and landing on the floor, then the forcefield being re-engaged. She had heard these sounds so often that she knew what they meant, even with her eyes closed.

Made from a cross-hatch of energy beams on four sides, there was no privacy in the cells. At the back there was a latrine with screens about a meter high on three sides, but anyone standing in front of the cell could see exactly what was going on.

Showers were weekly affairs and the guards took them one at a time to a cold, windowless room where they could wash under lukewarm water. Still there was no privacy as a guard always stood watch. At least for the women, it was a female guard.

"Chère?"

Rogue's breath caught in her throat. She almost didn't dare to hope that it might be him, that she might have a friend in here. Maybe she had finally gone insane? It wasn't like she didn't already have enough people in her dead to drive her crazy, after all.

Still, hallucination or not, she turned to see Gambit in the cell next to hers, dressed just as she was, in blue hospital scrubs. She couldn't help but smile at him, then she burst in to tears.

"Rogue? Rogue, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," she said, crawling over to the edge of her cell to be closer to him.

"What for?"

"I was pleased to see you," she sniffed. "I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemies, let alone a friend."

"Oh, chère." He wondered if he was too late, if her mind had already gone. He couldn't blame her if it had, she had been in here almost three months, after all.

"I'm sorry," she wiped at her eyes. "Some reunion this is, me blubbering everywhere."

Remy breathed a sigh of relief at her words; they hadn't broken her spirit yet, he wasn't too late. She was far too thin and her voice sounded hoarse, but at least she was sane.

"So, chère, gimme the local info, where are the hot spots, what's the food like, who's open to bribes?"

Rogue actually smiled a little at that. "Oh, it's so good to see you, Gam-"

His hissed breath and fierce expression stopped her saying his name but she didn't know why she couldn't say it.

"Good to see you too, chère." He smiled as though nothing had happened. Whatever the reason, she decided not to ask now.