Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Back in the mansion things with the professor were going slowly. Rogue had stepped out a few times to give updates, so the other inhabitants were able to tell Remy, Kitty and Kurt what was happening.

"He's trapped within a bad memory," Storm explained. "Emma is trying to reach him but the Professor has placed strong shields in his mind."

"'Cos he's scared?" Kitty asked.

"Exactly. It is breaking through these shields that is taking Emma the time."

Remy checked his watch, it had been about six hours since they started and all the kids, not to mention the adults, looked stressed and subdued.

"Who's up for a game of mutant ball?" Remy asked.

No one exactly bit his hand off.

"I am thinking this is a good idea," Piotr said. "We will play and work off some energy. Perhaps by the time we are finished, there will be news on the professor."

Between them they urged the kids topside and into a game. The kids were a little reluctant at first but within minutes of playing, had got into the spirit. Storm, Piotr and Remy only watched for safety reasons, declaring it no rules, except anyone who seriously injured a team mate was out.

"Storm was telling me that you have a daughter," Piotr said to Remy. "I am knowing this is not true though."

"Well, I do look after a little girl now, but I'm not her papa." He fished the picture out of his wallet and handed it to his friend. "Even before Rogue, I was considering coming up here with her, seeing if the professor might take us in."

"I think he will be happy to 'take you in'," Colossus smiled. "You and your not-daughter."

"I ain't so sure about that," Remy turned away.

"He was very kind to me, I am sure he would be to you too."

"You're different," Remy said. "You were always one of the good guys at heart."

"I am thinking you were too, my friend. It was you who stole the location of my family for me."

"Yeah, well I guess you're just too nice a guy to say no to," he smiled. Of all the Acolytes, Colossus was the only one Remy had struck up any real kind of friendship with.

"I did not get a chance to thank you," Colossus continued, "I had hoped that when Apocalypse showed, you would come and help, then I could thank you."

"Yeah." Remy let out a long breath. "Sorry about that, I was... indisposed."

"You do not wish to talk about it?"

"It's not exactly one of my favourite memories," Remy confessed.

"Then I will not ask again."

"How about you, how are you finding life as an X-Man?"

"I was enjoying it very much, until this Phoenix. She is very powerful, Remy, and I am afraid that we will not all survive the coming battle."

Remy hadn't seen this Phoenix in action yet but very little scared his big, Russian friend, so Remy believed him.

"I think I'm going to see if there's an update on the professor." Really Remy just wanted to end the conversation because of what it could mean to his Rogue. What if this Phoenix hurt her, or worse?

Piotr handed him the picture back and Remy slipped it into his wallet, then headed for the hatch to the basement.

Remy knew that there was a very good reason why he had spent most of his life bed hoping rather than real relationships with women but for a while after meeting Rogue, he had been unable to remember quite why that was so smart.