Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"And the plans will be the same as last time, thus saving us the cost of architect fees. We will be paying a premium for immediate service, but I think that rebuilding the mansion is of the utmost importance," the professor said to those assembled. "So, I believe that only leaves me to propose the matter of Remy LeBeau, also known as Gambit, becoming an X-Man. I should mention that will also mean allowing a younger mutant than we are used to living here, Remy's ward, Sarah, who is six."

"Seconded!" Rogue jumped in. She didn't really understand the meeting etiquette, but she had picked up that every motion had to be seconded.

The professor smiled at her eagerness. "So before we put this to a vote, any thoughts?" he asked the group.

"I trust my sister," Kurt said immediately. "If she says we can trust him, then I believe her."

"Me too!" Kitty called out.

"Can't have too many southerners, if you ask me" Sam said, in his typical, easy going manner.

Rogue smiled at them.

"The guys a jerk!" Bobby called out, making the professor wonder at the wisdom of giving the younger X-Men both a voice and a vote at this meeting.

"You're the jerk, Bobby," Rogue said. "You're just mad that he banned you from the motorhome 'cos you stole and wore my bra!"

Bobby turned beet red and shut up. He had been hoping that the professor wouldn't have to learn about that.

The professor looked to the adults, hoping for some informed and reasonable opinions.

"I know that we are not set up to take younger children," Storm began, "However, with an image inducer, I see no reason that Sarah can't attend the local elementary school, as the others do the Bayville High."

"And if not, I'm sure Remy'd be happy to pay for private tutoring at home," Rogue added. "It's what he does now."

"As I understand it," Hank interjected. "Sarah has a visible mutation, so I think that offering her a place here would be most beneficial thing for her, especially being in the presence of others with visible mutations, such as Kurt and myself."

The professor looked to Logan.

"I ain't got no problem with the kid coming here," he grunted, refusing to offer an opinion on Remy.

Xavier looked to Scott, who was after all the leader of the X-Men, and deserved to have his opinion heard.

"I can't claim to have made an effort to get to know Gam-, I mean, Remy." Scott blushed slightly, although everyone could understand that his worry over Jean had prevented him being too sociable. "He did rescue Rogue though, and that alone should be enough that we give him a chance."

"I agree with Scott," Jean added. "Even without Rogue's vouching for him, I think Remy has more than earned a chance."

No one spoke for a few moments.

"Well then, I think we should vote," the professor said. "All those in favour?"

All hands raised except Bobby and Logan.

"Against?"

Only Bobby raised his hand.

"Logan, I assume you are abstaining?" The professor asked. Logan nodded in reply. "Then the motion is carried. If they are agreeable, Remy LeBeau shall become the newest member of the X-Men and Sarah shall become the mansions newest resident."

"Thank you," Rogue gasped as she released the breath that she hadn't been aware she was holding, thanking all the gods, goddesses and lucky stars for helping her.