Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The next morning, Rogue wasn't exactly surprised to wake up and realise that she was alone in her bed. She sat up and looked to the other side, where all traces that there might have been another occupant had been removed.

She swung her feet out of bed and massaged her temples while she tried to quieten the voices in her head. A few moments later, the bathroom door opened.

"Mornin' Rogue," he smiled. "Sleep well."

She lowered her hands and looked up at him. "Not too bad, swamp rat."

"Bon."

"Nice to have a real bed again. And pillows, I forgot how much I missed pillows."

"You haven't had a goodnight sleep until you've tried a water bed." He winked.

"I'll put it on my bucket list," she assured him. "Bathroom free?"

"All yours, chère."

She smiled to herself as she passed him. If he could fool himself that she didn't know he was sleeping with her, then she could keep letting him do it. It was a win win situation.

Once in the car again, they took off towards the border, but Remy was shocked to note that there seemed to be some kind of military presence as they headed back to the highway. It looked like they were just arriving and setting up, so Remy cruised past them, grateful that they had decided not to stop for breakfast, even although Rogue needed fattening up. If they had been even fifteen minutes later, he had a nasty feeling that they'd be facing a roadblock.

Thank god they had been tired last night and gone to bed early. If he'd been at home and in his usual routine, he would never have seen this hour of the morning!

How were they tracking Rogue? They were far enough away now that the net should be full of holes, unless they had resources that even Gambit hadn't counted on. Could they really have got Rogue's image on television? He'd have to watch the news the next time they stopped, and maybe pick some newspapers up too.

But still, with her white streaks still hidden under her baseball cap, surely she wouldn't be easy to recognise? Those white streaks were the most prominent thing about her image and they caught they eye. Without them, most people wouldn't think her anything other than a belle femme. And surely wouldn't relate her to a picture on the news... would they?

He knew that he'd spent an unnatural amount of time studying her and he was pretty sure that he could recognise her from any angle, in any disguise, but surely he was the exception, not the rule.

He thought it over and decided that he was right, it didn't matter how beautiful she was, even if her picture had been released to the press, people shouldn't be recognising her so easily. Still, when they checked into the hotel this evening, she was staying in the car until he had checked in, then going straight to their room.

Of course, people might not be recognising Rogue, there might be something else at work here.

The car could be lo-jacked, however that was highly unlikely. The lock-up where he'd kept the vehicle might have had ridiculously lax security, but Remy wasn't an idiot. To the main doors he's attached three long fibres, no thicker than a hair and almost invisible to the naked eye. All three of those had been in tact when he'd returned, meaning that no one had entered through the front door.

Next was the dust on the floor. It looked just like any other dust and debris, but in fact had been placed there by him. A mixture of concrete dust, fine sand and a little dirt just to give it a natural look. No one would think twice about walking over it, but it would record their footprints almost as well as wet sand. Needless to say, that dust had been undisturbed until they had arrived.