Chaptter Seven

AN: Some people had comments/questios, which are answered in my first comment below. Feel free to ask if I didnt answer something you were wondering.

Chapter Seven

"Rogue, get in here!"

Rogue was changing for their night out, clad only in a dressing down as she did her makeup, so she wasn't thrilled at being ordered to the living room. Something in his tone however, made her do as he asked.

"What?"

"Look." He directed her attention to the television.

"What is that? Or what was that?"

"The Hellfire Club in Los Angeles. It exploded this afternoon, killing everyone inside."

"Exploded like the mansion?"

"Yeah. Someone caught the blast on their phone's camera, and that was definitely a bird shaped flame rising from the building."

"Did they show the footage?"

"Yeah. I'm hoping they will again. They've dubbed it the Phoenix, cos it rose from the ashes of this place."

Rogue sat next to him and watched raptly as the news anchor asked questions to an on site reporter, who knew next to nothing but seemingly loved the sound of his own voice.

She learned that the Hellfire Club was rumoured to be a group of elite individuals who try to influence world events, usually for financial gain.

"Is that true?" Rogue asked, not really expecting an answer.

"Pretty much."

"How do you know them?"

"I've done some work for them in the past. They wanted information, I stole it for them."

Rogue wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, so she ignored it.

"Okay, so if these are a bunch of megalomaniacs, why would this phoenix attack the X-men and the Hellfire Club? They have nothing in common."

"Well to be fair, your professor is trying to influence mutant affairs."

Rogue guessed that was true, but the targets still seemed like polar opposites. Finally the news showed the cell phone footage of the Phoenix again, just after the explosion.

"I'll make some calls, see if any of my contacts can put me in touch with the inner circle," Remy said, getting to his feet. "Why don't you look online, see if there's any new information."

Remy took out his cell phone and headed into the bedroom to make his calls.

An hour later, they knew nothing new. Remy had feelers out but it would take time for people to get back to him. Rogue reported that the news was just speculating wildly, so they both agreed to head out for dinner as they had planned. Sarah had a play-date with Henri and Mercy's son, Louis, and was spending the night there, so they thought that they should take advantage of their freedom while they had it.

They headed into the French Quarter and Remy took them to a blues club that he knew. It took two drinks until Rogue relaxed and he finally had the 'date' he was hoping for. Rogue didn't know this was a date, of course, but they were two adults who had dressed up to spend time with each other. If that wasn't a date, he didn't know what was.

Rogue was wearing another of the outfits that Remy had chosen for her, though he would have preferred that she had let him buy her something that didn't come from Walmart. Still, she had teamed the usual sheer shirt and miniskirt with beige tights and high healed boots, making her look as sexy as hell. In fact it took all his willpower not to reach out and put his hand on her knee.