Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Rogue's fitness had improved in leaps and bounds and she had begun sparring with Remy after their workout. Unfortunately, it didn't matter how fit she was or how long she'd been training, Remy was the more skilled fighter.

A few memories of him training surfaced in her mind, and they weren't pretty. The Thieves, and Jean-Luc in particular, were hard task masters and the punishments metered out for not coming up to par were harsh, even harsher than most for Remy and Henri. Rogue saw glimpses of Remy being made to run until he threw up, being locked in the gym for days with no food until he completed an assault course, being hit, whipped, locked in cupboards.

'And I thought Mystique and Logan were hard,' she thought, suddenly not minding losing to him quite so much.

Remy had also begun to school her, giving her tips as they sparred. She found his teaching style to be much nicer than Logan's; Remy encouraged and suggested, rather than yelling at her.

When they had finished they hit the showers, and Rogue had time to think that she was grateful for these sessions since as well as getting her back in shape, they helped her work out some of her sexual tension. Remy was a very hard man to resist, but she just wasn't ready to do anything sexual yet. She was a 19 year old virgin who had begun to think that she would never have a boyfriend, so this was taking a lot of getting used to.

Thankfully Remy didn't pressure her at all but unfortunately, she felt the pressure of her own desires all too strongly.

Remy was finished before Rogue, as usual, and waited for her outside the changing rooms.

"You are a very hard man to find, Gambit."

Remy froze then turned to the voice. "Mystique. I didn't expect to see you here."

"I don't doubt it. I on the other hand, was expecting to see you a week ago or more. I made the second part of your payment four days ago, now hand over my daughter."

"That wasn't our agreement. I said I'd ask her if she wanted to see you, that's all I promised."

"And you haven't even done that."

"She isn't ready yet."

"I paid you very handsomely for your services and I expect something in return."

"Rogue is safe, isn't that enough?"

Suddenly Remy heard a noise behind him and turned to see Rogue standing there, her eyes wide with shock and betrayal.

"Rogue!" He took a step towards her but she took off running, pushing Mystique aside as she barrelled past her.

Remy turned back to Mystique. "You stay away from her, you hear me? You have no idea of the hell they put her through and I will not have you adding to her problems."

He took off after Rogue, Mystique's reply unheard against the wind in his ears. He didn't know where Rogue would go so he headed for home, hoping that she would be there. She was, throwing her things into a bag. He stood in the bedroom doorway watching for a moment.

"Please, Rogue, let me explain."

"What's to explain? You lied to me! I asked you if anyone paid you to get me out and you lied!"

"I didn't lie, chère. Do you think I blew my hands up practising on those damned collars for a fee? You think I voluntarily put one of those around my own neck to practice, risking getting my head blow off, for money? I know I didn't go through what you did, Rogue, but surely even you remember the horrors that they do to mutants before they get to the facility. No amount of money would make me do that to myself."