Epilogue

Epilogue

Jean and Rogue strolled in the mansion grounds. There was still a lot of landscaping to do, but at least the weather was nice.

"So did the break do you good?" Rogue asked.

Jean shrugged, a very unlike Jean thing to do.

"Scott and I connected but... well, let's just say it didn't do as much as I'd have liked for my mental state."

"I know the feeling," Rogue sympathised. "You can run but you can't hide."

"Exactly!" Jean smiled.

In many ways, they were both suffering similar traumas, Rogue with her kidnap and Jean with the Phoenix, had left both of them with a little PTSD. It had been the professors idea that they start talking, and although Jean had been away on vacation, they resumed the sessions as soon as she got back.

"I just... I can't stop thinking about what it did, you know? I was there, I saw it all, but I was powerless to stop it."

"You couldn't have stopped it, Jean. Sometimes people, or things, do stuff to us or make us do things that we hate but can't help, and then make us feel like bad people, but you just have to try and remember that you were just a witness, like watching a television program."

There was silence for a moment.

"How are your nightmares?" Jean finally asked.

"Not too bad. Better than they used to be, even before all this with Weapon X, especially with Remy there. He's like my own personal dream catcher."

"How are your rooms coming?" Jean asked.

"Mostly done. All the furniture's been delivered but it's still rather cold. We're going shopping this weekend, see if we can pick up some homey touches, vases, cushions, pictures, that kind of thing."

"Does he still want to install a kitchenette?"

"Yeah," Rogue smiled. She didn't mind really, but she thought that they could easily use the mansion facilities. "Worst thing though, is that he spotted the old boat house the other day, now he's angling to do it up and for us to move in there."

Jean couldn't decipher Rogue's tone.

"That thing is just a shell!"

"I know, but he wants to do it up, or rebuild it." She sighed.

"You don't want that?"

"I just... I'm a little young, you know, to be settling down in domestic bliss."

Jean didn't know what to say to that, but thankfully Rogue continued, saving her the need to reply.

"It's not that I don't love him, and lord knows I feel years older than I actually am but part of me is just rebelling against becoming some cookie cutter couple, you know?"

"I think so," Jean smiled. "Just because you don't want your own home, doesn't mean that you don't love him. This mansion has been your home for years now, Rogue, in fact I'd be surprised if it was easy for you to leave."

Rogue nodded idly, still turning the situation over in her mind.

"How did you leave things?" Jean asked.

"We didn't really, just said we'd talk about it in a few months. Maybe when Sarah moves into the main dorms in a few years or something."

"Is he pressuring you?"

"No," Rogue smiled. "He's just so excited about the idea, you know? It's hard to be the one to rain on his parade."

Jean laughed.