Chapter II - The Past

Lotor was alone. His cell consisted of a bed with a mattress and a basin for washing, a small camera on the top corner of his cell and a small glass window so he could see the outside. He was no longer wearing his Galra uniform, but plain clothes he remembered seeing the green paladin's father wear. He deduced from observing from the small glass window that he was on Olkarion. He remembered how the city looked the day after he killed his father Zarkon. That was the day he realized that Allura cared for him. She didn't have to ask if he was alright, but she did and she even smiled at him. He never had anyone smile at him as no one was permitted to show any feelings in the Galra. Father said that was a weakness from his Altean half that he hated. Then why marry an Altean? Why produce a child with that genetics?

All his life he had no one who cared for him from the moment he was born. The only person that resembled that was Dayak his governess. Even though she was hard on him with his studies she did care. But once he got older, Dayak was no longer needed and he was sent to a Galra training base to breed out all the bad Altean traits that would cause him to be a terrible leader when he took up the throne. However, it did the complete opposite. Lotor became more determined to become more Altean than Galra. During his battle training, Lotor became an expert swordsman, the top of his class. His classmates always looked down and picked on him because he was half Altean and that he was Zarkon's son. One day his classmate made a snide remark about his mother being dead and at that moment his Galra side came out, took one swipe of his blade, and plunged into his classmate's back instantly killing him. With any school, you would be in the barracks, but his instructor commended him and gave him a badge for his first kill. Lotor went back to his quarters, threw his bloody sword on the floor, and fell on his knees. Tears rolled down his cheeks. He could not believe he killed someone and that easy. Could he be more like his father than his mother? From that day on Lotor swore he would not kill again. He would use his enormous combat skills and his newfound manipulative skills to not to kill anyone. If he were to rule the Galra Empire in the near future, he would not enslave people like the one his father did. He wiped his tears from his face, went to the information console, and started to research his mother Honerva's work. He wanted to learn more about quintessence. He learned there was a Galra installation that was mining quintessence. He contacted his father and asked if he could study there to further the Galra agenda and make the empire stronger. Zarkon agreed under one circumstance that he once his studies were done he was to obtain all the quintessence from the said planet and resume his Galra training. Lotor agreed.

Once arriving, Lotor felt a sense of connection to the planet, something he never felt before. He saw how the Galra soldiers treated the inhabitants of the planet. It was horrible and deplorable. He knew the research would move more quickly if he worked together with the inhabitants and that the Galra would obtain more quintessence. So secretly, Lotor would meet with the scientific leaders of the community and ask for their help of obtaining quintessence instead of draining the whole planet of it using Haggar's methods. The leaders readily helped him and Lotor promised no harm would come to their planet. One particular night Lotor made the mistake of not watching if a Galra guard was following him. He learned many ways of not being caught, but on this night, he his plan was found out. The next morning his father, ordered him to leave the planet immediately as the fleet was arriving shortly to drain the quintessence and destroy the planet. Lotor was incensed and did not want to leave the planet and that he got the corporation of the planet's leader to help with the quintessence mining, but Zarkon was having none of it. He ordered his guards to subdue Lotor and bring him back to the ship. As only Lotor could only watch with disgust, the planet was drained and within a few ticks, the planet was destroyed. That was the last straw for Lotor he could not live in a Galran empire ruled by his father. He knew as long as his father was alive there would be no peace in the universe. He knew he would have to destroy the Galra from within or kill his father something he was not ready for so he chose the latter. The next day Lotor was shipped to a far-off Galra installation plotting his revenge and to never to be heard from again.