Chapter XIV - Revisiting the Past

As Lotor and Wilder traveled in space looking for the sincline ship and Van, Wilder paused and asked Lotor a question.

"So what made you turn against the Galra and your father?"

Lotor turned to Wilder and said "Watching your father annihilate a planet pretty much did it for me."

Wilder nodded. "I still don't understand how your father could become so evil. From what I heard before he went into the Rift with your mother Honerva, he was a good man and leader. He and King Alfor were the best of friends, looking out for each other."

"I know firsthand how the Rift can consume you with great rage and anger. Some people say the power in the rift shows your true nature. The strange thing was when I entered the Rift with Allura, I didn't feel consumed with power. I didn't let it consume me as I did when we had the great battle."

"Well you say your feelings for Allura were true, maybe it was those feelings of love that kept you from going crazy in the rift with her. It probably didn't affect Allura due to the great alchemy she acquired on Orinde," said Wilder.

"You might be right. I just wished I wasn't so selfish with trying to destroy the Galra empire and trying to create a new one with the Alteans," said Lotor.

"Since I already know the story about how you saved the Alteans, but why did you want to help them seeing that if you were caught Zarkon would have killed you all?" Wilder asked Lotor.

"They were a part of who I am. Neither Hagger and Zarkon wanted me to explore that part of me. It was a weakness they say that tainted my ascension to the throne. However, I saw it as a strength as I was about diplomacy and peace. I never wanted to hurt the Alteans. They were my kind, a society I could relate to."

"Then why did you kill them?" Wilder questioned.

"They were never dead in the first place." Said Lotor.

This puzzled Wilder as he was told by the princess thru Romelle that Lotor killed Alteans for generations for their quintessence. "From what I heard, those Alteans have been dead for a long time."

"They were never dead, just drained of their quintessence, a quintessence I wanted to retrieve from the Rift and heal them."

Now, this even puzzled Wilder even more. Lotor continued speaking

"When we all first arrived on the colony, all the Alteans were healthy as checked on by my doctors. After a century of living on there, my doctors started to see a mutation or genetic defect in some Alteans. The doctors concluded if they didn't isolate those with the mutation, the Alteans could die. I didn't want that to happen."

"So what did you do?" Wilder asked

"Well, I had to inform one of my highest ranking Altean leaders in the colony who had acquired this mutation. We decided for the sake of all Alteans, he would be the test subject. We created the base for this reason. We tried everything until one of my scientists suggested we remove their quintessence. This scientist concluded from their research that the quantum abyss was causing the mutation in the Alteans due to their Alchemic DNA. I thought this would kill them, but he informed me he created a pod that could keep the Alteans alive until their quintessence was replenished. I knew the only place where we could find the purest form of quintessence was in the Rift."

"So the real reason you wanted to enter the Rift was not for the power, but to save your people."

"Yes, that is why I needed the trans-reality comet to make my Sincline ships so I could enter the Rift gate in the ruins of Diabazzal."

"So when it didn't work that is when you needed Princess Allura's help and the palidans."

"Not quite, but when my generals turned on me for my father, I knew if I wanted to obtain the quintessence, I would need their help. At first, I was content on being on my own, but after out-gunning my father and learning of what was going on near Naxzela, I knew I had to stop it. I gave myself up freely and gave any intel that would help the coalition."

"Yeah I heard about that, but still the team didn't trust you."

"Yeah, especially the princess, who I have to admit took my breath away. She was even more beautiful in person, but still naïve about the whole situation as I felt she wasn't ready to end the war between the Galra and coalition. I did try to help them to find the green paladin's father, but instead, my generals got to him first and used him as a bargaining chip to get them to turn me over to my father. Strangely enough, the Black palidan seemed to be on my side and gave me the black bayard incase trouble arisen during the hostage turn over. I look back at this day as the moment I finally was free of my father, no more being called a stain on the Galra Empire. I was able to be the leader I always wanted to be."

"So you killed your father and completed the Kral Zera, now when did you start having feelings for the princess?" Wilder asked with a smirk

"I really don't have to dignify that with an answer, but since your ship is slow and will take a while to find the sincline ship, fine I will tell you. It was never in the plans to fall for her, but we were just drawn together. We both made each other better. She made me want to become a better leader and I helped her achieve her dream to become a great alchemist like her father. There were so many times I wanted to kiss her and tell her how I truly felt about her but felt fear that she would reject me with all the paladins around us at all times. There was one time we almost kissed, but those damn paladins."

Wilder laughed "yeah when I wanted to be around a female, my family members would always be around. That is why I left to train, not just to fight in the coalition, but to get away from my folks. Don't get me wrong I loved them dearly, but can a man just get some privacy."

At that moment Lotor let out an immense laugh. "Now getting back to what I was saying, she was a hiccup in my plan, but a good one, that I would never take back. Every time I was away from her my heart yearned for her. Then finally that moment when we arrived back from the Rift, I knew I had to make my move and kiss her. She didn't reject me, she embraced the kiss. I finally found the woman I was meant to be. I knew I had to be honest with her, but it was too late, then everything was a blur. Allura knocked me out and then I awoke to find myself in front of Haggar, who turns out to be my own mother Honerva. That witch rejected me the moment I was born. The rage that was growing inside me and the fact some of the quintessence never left my body made me crave for more power and that I wanted to destroy everything. I thought to myself, the only person who would be able to calm me down was her. If she just let me explain to her why did everything, I would be able to calm down and just focus on healing the Alteans on the moon, but the moment she said I was just like my father, I lost it. I don't remember much after that."

"It seems the quintessence feeds on all negative energy. I guess if we ever venture into the Rift, we have to think of positive thoughts."

"That's if we can retrieve the sincline ship from Van."

"Agreed, so since my ship doesn't have good sensors, I figure we could head to the space mall for some food and supplies."

"Speaking of the space mall, did I ever tell you I was the silent partner in the creation of it." Laughed Lotor.

Wilder chuckled and set the ship's coordinates for the space mall.