Chapter Six

Week Two

So far, I've learned that sleeping in turns into a mess, and that going to bed early makes a mess. I haven't gotten a good night of sleep since the boys got here.

"Stop!" I screamed at the boys. Don't they ever get tired?

"Why? It's not like we were doing anything wrong," James said. I've learned how to tell them apart, courtesy of Dane, who comes in my room almost every night now.

"Don't you sass me! And yes, this is wrong. You don't put your underwear on my cat!" This is what I get for sleeping in a little late.

"Calm down," Dane says softly, wrapping an arm around my waist, and kissing my temple. Instantly, I relaxed.

Only two more weeks until my parents come back for a week. It's already been twelve days with these kids.

"Alright, I'm calling the other guys, you five are spending the night at their houses, if you can."

"Yay!" they all jumped up and down.

After calling Aiden and Ethan, I called Taven to see if Sam could go.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Taven, it's Jeanie, and I was wondering if Sam could spend the night? I need some time to myself, for once."

"Well, Gale is in town, so Alec can come, too."

"Yes! Alright, I'll give Alec your address, and they'll probably be there in half an hour."

After I hung up, I called Hunter. He offered to have Dane come over, too. I agreed, since I wouldn't mind just crashing in bed, and not talking to anyone.

I dropped off all of the kids, and came back home. "Wait a minute, Wes?"

"What?"

"I never found you a place to go!" Dang it, no house to myself.

"It's okay, I won't bother you, unless you want me to." I sighed. Can't be that bad. "Or I could call Callie, maybe I could go to her house."

"No! Let's make brownies or something." Anything so that he doesn't go to Callie's.

"Or, since it's really nice out right now, we could have a water gun fight? Nevermind, I would kick your butt at it anyways." Oh no, he didn't. It's on.

"You think that you can beat me?" he nodded, "you're on!" I ran to the garage, and grabbed two water guns. Then I filled them both, and walked outside with him.

"Ready, set-" I started, but was quickly shot in the stomach before I could finish.

"Go!" Wes concluded.

"Oh, I'm going to get you!" I chased him around the house, occasionally squirting to try to hit him. Wes turned around a couple of times to get me.

After I was too tired to continue, I sat on the deck, dripping wet.

"Hey, Jean, the point of the game is to get the other player wet." Wes was completely dry. I picked up my gun, and squirted all of the remaining water on Wes. All he did was stand there with his arms wide open.

Even though he didn't move, Wes still wasn't very wet, so I got up, and hugged him. When I pulled away, there were huge water marks on his clothes.

I giggled in satisfaction. I didn't expect to get picked up, though. Wes slung me over his shoulder, and started running. As if on cue, it started pouring.

I pounded on Wes's back. "Let me down! We should go inside!"

"What's the magic word?"

"Please!"

Wes set me back down, and we walked inside. I went to the bathroom closet.

"There's only one towel." I sighed, knowing that we were going to have to share. I was shivering, anyway, so maybe it's not a bad thing.

Wes took the towel, and wrapped it around us. I could feel the heat radiating off his body, making me warmer.

We stood there for close to twenty minutes, and we were pretty dry by then. I led Wes to the living room, and handed him the remote. Then I grabbed a big blanket, and sat on the couch next to him.

He started watching Deal or No Deal, since it was the only good show on. I leaned my head on his shoulder, and fell asleep.

When I woke up, the t.v. was off, and I was next to Wes on the couch. He's such a peaceful sleeper.

I slipped out from underneath the blanket, and began making breakfast. We had pancake mix, and chocolate chips. Perfect.

After I had made the mix, I started pouring batter onto the hot griddle. I could already smell it. Mmm.

"I smell pancakes," Wes said, walking into the kitchen.

"Good morning," I replied. I picked up a plate with two warm pancakes on it, and handed it to Wes. He picked one up and took a huge bite out of it.

I flipped the last pancake onto my plate, and turned off the griddle. Then I joined Wes at the table.

"Did you know that you talk in your sleep?" Wes asked.

"Oh no, what did I say?"

"First, you started saying 'no' repeatedly, then 'sorry,' then you said my name."

Instantly, my dream flashed in my head. Dane had freaked out after seeing me and Wes on the couch, asleep. It must have been in the future, 'cause Dane and I don't even have a serious relationship yet, and he shouldn't mind something like that.

"Oh, in my dream, you wanted me to make you lots and lots of cookies, but I had cut my hands off by accident when I was making dinner. It was a strange dream," I lied. He can't know that Dane and I are dating until later.

Just then, my phone vibrated. Hunter texted, saying that he would drop Dane and Ben off at around 11. I recieved three more texts from the other guys after that, each saying the same thing.

"So, the other boys won't be back until 11. What do you want to do until then?" I asked.

"I don't know, I'm pretty tired still. How 'bout nap time?" Wes suggested.

I smiled. "That sounds like a good idea. I'm going to do the dishes, and then we can sleep in the living room."

I stood up, carried the plates to the counter, and put them in the dishwasher. Then I wiped the griddle clean, and put it away.

Wes was already laying down on the couch, holding the blanket up. When I walked in, he gestured for me to lay down next to him.

Reluctantly, I layed down on the couch, as Wes spread the blanket over our bodies. I was so confortable. Also, Wes's body is so warm.

I had no idea I was so tired, until I woke up and checked the time. 10:54.

"Wake up," I said, rolling of the couch, and onto the floor.

"Hmm?"

"Six minutes to eleven. Get up," I demanded. I'd rather not be asleep when the boys got back.

I was just in time. After I stretched and fixed my hair, the doorbell rung. I ran over, and opened the door.

"Hey, how were they?" I asked Hunter.

"They were fine. No need to worry, Jeanie. We can have them over whenever you want," he replied. Dane and Ben walked inside, and went to their rooms.

"Thanks so much, I owe you one."

"How about a kiss? I'm kidding. Next time you make cookies, call me," he said, and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes, and shut the door. Not long after, and Aiden came with the twins, then Taven with Sam and Alec. I counted to make sure we had all eight kids. Phew.