Chapter Thirteen

"You don't want to go in?" Wes asked, taking a seat next to me.

"Nah, the water is chilly," I replied, brushing hair off of my face.

"What if you had someone to keep you warm?"

"You aren't going to get me to go in the water," I said, giving him a stupid look.

"That's unfortunate, I hate to make you upset."

"What?" I asked.

Immeadietly, I was thrown over his should. Now I get it.

"Stop!" I screamed, slapping Wes's bare back. I felt him chuckle beneath me as he walked into the water.

The water was freezing, as I predicted. Goosebumps broke out, covering my body. Wes set me down, completely dousing me in the water.

He pulled me into his arms as I shivered.

"Does this make up for it?" He said into my neck.

"No," I replied, grumpily.

"What about this?"

Wes lifted my head and kissed my lips. Instantly, warmth spread through my body. I felt better.

"Maybe," I said, shielding my face.

He laughed, a held me. I almost fell asleep, it was so comfortable. The gentle water, bare skin, and warmth from Wes's body.

Finally, I got used to the water. I pushed away from Wes, and swam to join the rest of the boys. They we playing a game of volleyball in the shallow water.

The ball flew in my direction, just above my head. I jumped up, and set the ball.

We played for a few minutes. The boys kept hitting the ball out of our circle. I, on the other hand, passed directly to my target every time. I did volleyball in middle school.

I put my hair into a braid to keep it from getting tangled. We took a break to eat lunch then.

Alec handed everyone water bottles. Then I got out the snacks. It was a free for all out there. I barely snagged a samdwich and a handful of chips.

We all gathered in the sand, holdling our plates. We didn't talk, since everyone was busy eating.

I finished first, so I took my plate, and set it in the empty bag as trash. Then I took the empty chig bags and put them in the trash bag.

They all saw where I put it, so they followed suit. This time, I'm not going back in.

Instead, I layed down in the sand and soaked in the few sun rays coming through the trees. All of the sudden, a shadow blocked it.

"Excuse me?" I asked, opening my eyes.

"We need to talk," Dane said.

When have I heard that? Oh yeah, too many times.

"About what? And stop blocking my sun."

Dane sat down next to me. "Our relationship."

I snorted, then regretted it. "That was kind of a joke. It didn't mean anything. I mean, we barely knew each other."

"Yeah, I get it."

"Get what, exactly?"

"You like Wes now," he replied, loking down.

"I couldn't really help that, though."

"It's fine. I'm going back in. Are you coming?"

"Nah, I'd rather stay here," I said. Dane walked away, and I heard the boys start talking to him.