Chapter Sixteen

I drove the boys back home, and waited half an hour for Wes to get back. He tried to take as many daytime classes as possible so we could be together afterschool.

Unsure of what to do to pass the time, I checked Facebook again. I had friend requests from Veronica Wells and Tyler Johnson.

Of course, I hit accept. I went on to Wes's profile to do some girlfriend stalking.

He was tagged in some pictures, but just ones taken during class and stuff. I take it that Wes's friends don't really use Facebook.

The door to the garage opened, and shut, so I sprinted into the kitchen to hug him. I hung from his shoulder and he walked to our room.

"How was your day?" I asked.

"It was boring. Yours?"

"It was fun. Roni and Tyler are really cool," I said.

Wes set his backpack on the floor next to the bed, and layed down. I pressed my head on his chest, and listened to his breathing.

"I love you," I said, reassuring him.

"I love you, too," Wes replied, stroking my hair.

We layed like that for probably an hour, or until Kay yelled for dinner.

I stood up, stretched, and pulled Wes out to the kitchen. It was spahgetti for dinner. Yum.

Dinner was silent. Uncomfortable from all of the silence, I spoke.

"Great cooking, Kay," I said.

"Thank you, dear. Do you mind making something for dessert? Like brownies?"

"I would love to."

After I finished, I put my plate and fork in the dishwasher, and started making brownies.

Wes came in and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"So I was looking at the other colleges," Wes said.

"It's the first day of school," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"I know, but applications and transfers are due in December, so I wanted you to have a lot of time to decide where you wanted to go."

"Alright, so what schools offer the classes I need?"

"There's one in Seattle."

"Too wet."

"Pheonix?"

"Too hot."

"Georgia?"

"Better."

"New York?"

"Too busy."

"How about Indiana?"

"Not bad."

"That's it," Wes said.

"I like Indiana and Georgia. However, I still want to look a little further," I said.

"Alright, but as long as you pick one that I listed or one close to those, we can move together."

"I like the sound of that. I'll look into it tomorrow night."

"Good. And those look delicious," Wes said, admiring the brownies cooking in the oven.

I laughed, kissed his cheek, and got a cooling rack out.

Not much longer, and the timer went off. I pulled the pan out, and got everything out while it cooled.

There were bowls, spoons, an ice cream scooper, ice cream, and a knife to cut the brownies.

I was first to dive in after they had cooled enough. I scooped some ice cream in too, and mixed it all together.

Once it was a lumpy brown mush, I ate it. I love when brownies and ice cream get mixed together like that.

When Sam saw what I did, he tried it, too. Next was Wes, then Ben, then the twins, and pretty soon even Kay was doing it.

I laughed, watching them all enjoy the slop-like dessert. It's really good tasting.

Even though I missed my parents, I'm glad to be here. The smiling faces around the table tell me just how glad everyone else is, too.

Wes took my hand underneath the table. I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

I realized, glad doesn't even begin to describe it.