18

Time was running out for the man trapped in the car

The piercing sound of shattering glass raining down on the asphalt hung in the air. Arryn's strides halted as she turned her focus onto the car. The blue paint was covered in large dents, leading the vehicle to appear as if it was caving inward. Black liquid dripped off the side of the exterior, collecting on the ground in a pool. Fleshy chunks of skin and meat slowly slid down the trail the black liquid had left.

Inside the automobile, the man was cowering low in the front seat. Hands flailed around wildly, grasping feverishly in his direction.

"Arryn. Come on, we need to hurry," Austin said in a low voice.

She broke her gaze off the man, returning it to Austin in front of her. He had traveled several cars in front of her. She nodded, quickening her pace.

The cop car sat inches away when they heard an inhuman growl bounce off the deserted vehicles. The cry traveled down every alley and sewer, echoing over and over again each time it found a new object to bounce off of. Like a wounded animal, the high-pitched bellow cried once again.

Expecting to see the man torn to shreds, the sight of him wielding a weapon surprised her. A silver, curved object glinted at her through the windshield. The metallic blade's point lay embedded in a rabid's skull. Tar like blood dripped down towards the handle.

"Where did he get that?" Austin asked impressed.

"I don't know, but I think he pissed off the others."

More rabids trickled in as the impaled one slumped to the ground. Metal groaned as the monsters easily peeled back the steel of the car like butter.

The window to the police cruiser lay in shattered ruins on the pavement. Deep scratches ran across the white paint. Austin reached through the window and unlocked the door. He bent over and snatched the shotgun from the holder.

"Oh shi-" Austin flew out of the car, hitting his head on the top of the door. His mouth appeared to be twisted in disgust. He balled his hand into a fist and raised it up to his mouth, seeming to hold back a gag.

"What? What is it?" Arryn asked. She had seen so much blood and gore already that she was starting to become accustomed to it.

She peered into the car, looking through the grate separating the front and back seats. A gruesome sight was indeed waiting for her in the backseat. A police officer sat in the middle of the back seat. His head hung forward limply. Blood slowly dripped from his dried out lips, landing on his uniform. Laying in the man's lap sat a small handgun.

On the window behind him, crimson liquid mixed with small pink chunks painted the glass. A hole surrounded by cracked glass resided directly behind him. The smell as if a hundred copper pennies had sat out in the sun for months filled the car.