29

"They're everywhere!" Dante exclaimed

"They're everywhere!" Dante exclaimed. The car came to a sudden stop, lurching everyone forward.

The horde of the undead filled the parking lot – at least twenty in total. Like the ocean after a shark attack, the Rabids moved in waves of red and grey. These Rabids looked different from the last ones she had seen. Gone was any resemblance of a living human being. In its place was exposed black muscles hanging limply off the creatures and skin peeled back to the bone. Shredded clothing dangled loosely from the creatures as they turned in the direction of the automobile.

Mixed in between the tide of human Rabids lurked the animal variations. At least two dogs could be identified in the mix. The skin and fur on their skinny bodies missing, leaving nothing but the skeletal frames exposed to the atmosphere. Only the fur surrounding the neck and face remained. Towering above the rest stood a moose. Its neck hung sideways. Tar like blood thickly coating the course brown fur dressing its body.

"Put the car in reverse. We should fall back and think of a plan. We'd all be walking to our death if we attempt this now," Daniel instructed.

Tires squealed as Dante peeled the car out of the parking lot and back on the road. Arryn snatched a glance out the back window, watching several of the monsters barreling after them.

They were catching up.

"Step on it! They're gaining!" Arryn yelled. She had forgotten how fast they were. She had forgotten so much over the past few months.

I hear the world is getting better out there. What a lie that was. If anything, the world had eroded down to the core, uncovering all the dirty secrets buried beneath. The whisper of hope she held inside for the past two months fled. The world was no longer a safe place. It was only a matter of time before their safe-haven fell to these enhanced beings.

The car's motor revved as Dante floored it. The Rabids kept running, but the speed of the car became no match for them.

"We still need to get in there," Austin said. He turned away from the back window and faced the front. "We need to make a plan. A way to clear the path."

"We don't have enough ammo for that. We'd be dead in seconds," Daniel said, shaking his head. "I think we will have to find some other place.

Savannah laughed, leaving the car silent. "You think we are going to find a safer place to go in this world? The world has gone to hell. There is no safe place anymore."

"I have an idea. Where was that gas station?" Daniel asked.

"Beside the Rabid infested store. Why?" Dante answered.

Daniel scratched his beard. His eyes flashed to the rearview mirror, an idea sparking in his electric blue eyes. "Is there another gas station around?"

"Here's the map," Dante said, reaching into his pants pocket. Daniel hastily grabbed the map, unfolding the paper across the dashboard. His eyes scanned the paper before he let out an aha.