BONUS CHAPTER #2

Austin POV

Austin POV

When the dead came knocking on my front door, I answered with bang.

My father's safe full of guns turned out to be super handy in case of an apocalypse. He'd kill me if he knew I went rustling through his things-- especially his weapons. But now was not the time to think about what he would think when he got home. That is... if he ever got home.

What if I never saw them again? What if they were... No. They were tough. Dad would protect them.

Now that the groans of the dead and wood had ceased their cries, I tried calling him again. With my shoulder holding the phone up to my ear, I listened to his classical music ringtone as I rummaged through the safe. I took a few guns, along with the corresponding ammo. If there was anything video games taught me, it was you could never have too much ammo. Unless of course you mastered the game like me and all your guns had infinite ammo. But this was real life, and I would not respawn if something bad happened, so better be safe than sorry.

The phone went to voicemail again.

I sighed, trying the hotel they were staying at. The line gave me a busy tone.

"Dammit," I said full of frustration.

What was I going to do? Where would I go?

I didn't know. From the research I did, the whole nation was under siege from this mutated virus. Maybe I could leave town? Head out into the more rural areas and wait it out.

Taking a deep breath, I rounded up a few supplies and headed out the door, car keys in hand.

I never expected killer squirrels to try and rip me apart. But as I made my way to the car, they swarmed, closing in on me like calculated mercenary killers. I kicked one off my foot and stomped on it, earning a sickening crunch in return. The death of a fallen comrade didn't even phase the others.

One crawled up my pants, up my shirt, and came to rest on my shoulder. I only had a fraction of a second to react, grabbing the ugly rat before it could bite down on my neck, and chucked it halfway across the driveway.

I wasn't about to waste bullets on them. So, after stomping another that got too close, I booked it to the car. Slamming the door behind me, one made it in and landed on my lap. Another got caught in the door and its head rolled down into my floor mat.

The one that landed on my lap leaped toward my face. It's tiny claws pinched my cheeks.

"Get off of me you rat!" I screamed, ripping the creature off of my face. I slammed against the window and black goo streamed down the glass like a tainted waterfall.

I let out a sigh of relief. The pitter-patter of squirrels thrusting their bodies against the car grew louder and louder. They appeared on the windshield, their tiny claws scratching against the glass. I quickly started the car and let the windshield wipers discard of them like bugs on a windshield.

Throwing the car into reverse, I peeled out of the driveway and headed toward the outskirts of the city. I rolled the window down to try and air out the rancid scent that lingered in the vehicle. The fresh air felt wonderful against my sweaty skin,

I found my mind drifting, thinking about my friends. I wondered if Lincoln turned into one of those things. And Arryn and Claire. Were they okay? Should I check on them?

No. Too risky. Plus they had families. They would be okay. Right?

A low groan came from my backseat, making my heart drop. Did another squirrel slip in? No. It sounded too human.

I looked in the rear view mirror to see a man with half of his face ripped off rising up in the back seat. 

How did he get in here?

Funny, he looks like... Carlton. Our neighbor.

I scrambled for a gun and got ready to slam on the brakes, but a bloodied arm wrapped around my neck. I couldn't reach the gun, or the brake. The car drifted as I fought against the powerful grip choking me. Low groans sounded in my ear as the monster brought its mouth down on my ear. But it didn't get to complete its bite. At that moment, the car slammed into something, and the zombie went flying forward.I lurched forward, hitting my head against the steering wheel. My seatbelt pulled me back.

The zombie hit the windshield, not shattering it, but a small crack formed in the glass. Like the squirrel, it's blood covered the glass as it twitched on the dashboard.

The world spun for a few minutes, until a familiar voice slowed the carousel ride.

"Sir, are you okay? Austin... is that you?'

"Sir? What am I fifty? Wait...Claire?" I asked. Was I hallucinating or was this real?

"Austin! You just crashed into me. What happ... oh." Her eyes drifted to the zombie. "Did it get you?"

"I don't think so. What are you doing out here? Where is your family?"

She swallowed and averted her eyes. "They... um... they didn't..."

"Claire," I whispered. My stomach dropped at the thought.

She sniffled. "Nothing I can do now... I was on my way to help Arryn. She's trapped in the hospital. She's in danger."

"Arryn? She's okay?"

"Not for long. We need to hurry. Wanna come with me? Something tells me your car is a bit totaled."

"Umm... yeah. Okay. Safety in numbers, right?"

"Yeah... sure. Come on." She helped me out of my car and into her SUV.

And away we went, looking for the redhead I threw up on at the party and almost got killed.