chapter six

"Now really, aunty, is any of this actually necessa- oUCH!" you yelp as Mikoto ties your hair up into a tight bun and places a black and gold comb kanzashi in it to secure it. She pats your shoulders and looks into the mirror in front of you.

You're dressed in this (minus the obi), and your face has been scrubbed so many times that it feels raw. It was worth it, though, because it now seems as if you're glowing. Your lips have been painted a shade of deep, crimson red, and Mikoto bought some eyeliner for you to wear. You objected at first, as it made the difference between your two different eye colours stand out even more.

"Now, the obi! Get up!" she beams as you get to your feet, a rather sour look on your face. There's a knock on the door, and you both turn around. Itachi walks in, dressed in a black yukata with a thin white obi around his waist. He smiles lovingly at the sight of you all dressed up, and Mikoto clasps her hands together.

"Right! Itachi, here, since you're done, you come and help (name) put on her tsuke obi, so I can go and get ready! Where is Sasuke? Is that boy even ready yet? And Fugaku, oh dear me, is he even out of the shower yet?!"

Mikoto jabbers to herself as she makes her way past Itachi, shutting the door. Itachi strides forward and picks up the obi from the bed. You try to avoid eye contact with him at all costs. Even though he'd claimed that last night had all been a part of his grand scheme to overthrow you before your great battle today, you still couldn't help but feel uneasy whenever he was in your presence. You spread your arms so that he can wrap the obi around your waist, holding your breath as you feel him breathing down your neck.

"You look stunning tonight," he say, sensually running his fingers over your waist. You feel like crying at his closeness. You screw your eyes shut, fearing that if you left them open you'd burst into tears at Itachi's touch. Somehow, he manages to get your obi tied super fast and soon, he's just standing there with his arms lingering around your waist, head lying on your shoulder. He yawns softly.

"I'm so tired..." he murmurs, closing his eyes. You feel as though you're heavily sweating, then push all negative thoughts about him away.

He's just tired. Relax.

You laugh a little and look down at him.

"Still worn out from our battle, eh?" you chuckle softly. He grins into your shoulder.

"Definitely." You two stand there for a few minutes, quiet, until the bedroom door opens yet again and you both look up. Sasuke stands at the door, holding something in his hand and looking very cross.

"I-I- (name) I got your necklace for you!" he stammers, walking forward with his hand outstretched. He trips over the hem of his own black yukata, making you and Itachi laugh. He scowls at his older brother, a blush slowly starting to creep across his porcelain skinned face.

"Thanks, Sa-"

"Let me put it on for you!" he exclaims, pushing a surprised looking Itachi out of the way. You snort and turn around so he can clasp the choker onto your neck.

"Thanks, I-" He must've done something wrong, because before you can finish thanking him, the choker tightens around your throat and you gasp as your air supply is cut off. When it's finally on properly, you turn around to yell at Sasuke, but instead are looking right into Itachi's eyes. You look over his shoulder and see an irritated looking Sasuke standing with his arms crossed, glaring daggers at the back of his brother's head. You're confused for a slight moment until Itachi smiles at you and turns to face his brother.

"Dear me, Sasuke, what were you trying to do, strangle the poor girl?" he says in a light voice. Knowing full well that you can't see it, Itachi gives Sasuke a deadly smile, as if to say you're dead if you try to get involved in this. Sasuke splutters and points an accusing finger at his brother.

"It was your fault! You jumped in and tried taking it from me-"

"Now why on earth would I do something like th-"

"Because you're a lunatic, that's wh-" A vein pops on your forehead and you lunge forward, grabbing each of the brothers by the collars of their yukata.

"WHY DON'T YOU BOTH JUST SHUT UP BEFORE I THROW YOU BOTH OUT OF THE WINDOW?!"

You hoist them into the air so high that their toes barely skim the floor. Sasuke crosses his arms and pokes a tongue at Itachi, who rolls his eyes at him.

"Itachi started it, hn."

"I wasn't the one being careless with her delicate neck-"

"I DON'T CARE WHO STARTED IT ONE OF YOU NEARLY CHOKED THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME AND IF YOU DON'T-" The door opens and your uncle pokes his head in.

"(name)-cha... oh...?" He seems bemused by the sight of you holding a whimpering Sasuke and a haughty looking Itachi up in the air. You drop them back down and put your hands behind your back. Fugaku chuckles and opens the door wider.

"Ah, so I was correct in thinking someone was being murdered," he says, shaking his head. You glare at both of the brothers before making your way out of the room.

"I take it they're here?" you ask, walking uneasily in your geta. Traditional clothes just weren't your thing. As soon as you exit the room with your uncle, the two brothers instantly turn on each other. Or more like, Sasuke turns on Itachi.

"What were you doing, feeling her up?!" exclaims an exasperated looking Sasuke. Itachi rolls his eyes.

"You're too young to understand." A vein pops on Sasuke's forehead, and he glares at his older brother.

"You're three years older than her! And it's obvious that you've been making her feel uncomfortable today! Like, seriously, Itachi, what are you-"

Sasuke's words are cut off as Itachi grabs him by the throat and slams him into the nearest wall. His Sharingan seems to have been activated, and the look he gives Sasuke is not a pleasant one.

"Listen to me, Sasuke," he hisses in a low voice. "I will not tolerate you coming in between me and (name), do you understand? She is mine, and mine only. I'm not afraid to hurt you if you ever compromise our relationship. Do you understand?" He pushes Sasuke up against the wall, making the younger brother claw at his hands in an attempt to pry them off for oxygen.

"She doesn't... even like you..." he barely manages, trying to breathe. Itachi lets out a low laugh.

"Oh no, she doesn't have to like me. Because eventually, she will love me. Understood?" His blood red eyes gleam in the low lighting of the room as he gives his younger brother a look of pure evil. Sasuke coughs, and Itachi releases his grip on his younger brother's throat, sneering.

The door peeps open and a head pokes through.

"Itachi! Sasuke! What are you two still doing in here!" hisses their mother. "The guests have arrived, get out and make yourselves look pretty!"

Itachi gives Sasuke one last look of disdain as he makes his exit, leaving his younger brother rubbing his throat and scowling.