chapter nineteen

"... shh, be quiet, you'll wake her up!"

"Mother tell Itachi to stop poking my forehead-!"

"Be quiet-"

Your eyes flutter as you hear whispers.

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, (NAME)!"

You jump and scream, pulling your blankets up to cover your scantily clad figure. You're basically wearing a black singlet with only your black underwear underneath, so of course you get a little flustered when you see Mikoto, Fugaku, Itachi and Sasuke standing on either side of your bed, staring down at you.

Mikoto's beaming, holding a tray in her outstretched hands. Fugaku looks as indifferent as ever, while Itachi's got a small, pleasant smile on his face and Sasuke's got his arms crossed, scowling at his older brother. You snort, and Mikoto places the tray on your lap. There's a plate with an omelet on it, a smaller plate with a short stack of pancakes, a mug of what you smell to be hot chocolate, and a small, blueberry muffin in the corner with a lone candle stuck in the middle, its flame flickering. You smile at your aunty, touched.

"Happy birthday, (name)," she says warmly, bending down and wrapping her arms around you. You untuck your arms from the folds of your blanket and reach out to her, returning the embrace.

"Thank you!" Next, your uncle hugs you, although very awkwardly. You laugh as he draws away, muttering about how he has things to sort out and duties to fulfill. Now Sasuke awkwardly shuffles forward, scratching the back of his head. You roll your eyes and pull him to you, shaking your head.

"Loser," you murmur into his ear with a grin. He returns your hug, then straightens up.

"Come now, Sasuke, I need your help," says Mikoto, beginning to usher him out of the room. You smile at him as he leaves, not knowing or realising how much pain he was going through watching you love his older brother instead of him.

The door shuts, and you're left alone in the room with Itachi, who smiles and sits next to you. You awkwardly shuffle over to make space for him, making sure to keep the blanket covering the upper half of your torso at all times.

"Happy birthday," he says softly, leaning closer to you. You gulp a little and nod. A smile tugs at the corner of his mouth, and you can't help but admire every little detail of his. From the smoothness of his hair, to the sloping elegance of the tear troughs that ran from his eyes to his cheek. From the way he smiled at you, full of love and longing, to the way his eyes seemed to shine, wistful, and making you feel secure. From the way he gracefully leaned closer to you, to the way his lips meet yours.

You grip the sides of the breakfast tray so that nothing tips over or makes a mess as yours and Itachi's lips meet, tender and loving. This time, you don't draw back or just let it slide. No, this time, you return his kiss, with as much passion as he gave you the last two times your lips met. As soon as he senses your willingness, his tongue pulls at your bottom lip, begging for the entrance you were denying him. His desperation makes you smirk, and as soon as you do, he bites your lip, making you open your mouth in surprise and allowing him the opportunity to slide his tongue in, searching, tasting.

Sasuke stands outside of the room, head bowed and ears perked, ready for any weird or strange noises. None come from the room; it's complete silence. Curious and slightly ashen faced at what he expects to find, he opens the door just a crack to hear your voice better.

"Itachi," you whisper as the two of you part. He tilts his head to the side and smiles at you with his oh so perfect smile, making your heart melt.

"Happy birthday, (name)." He gets to his feet, planting a kiss on your forehead.

"Eat up. You have a big day ahead of you."

With those final words, he walks out of the room, leaving you in a state of pure bliss.