chapter fifteen

By dinner the next day, Itachi still isn't back from his mission, and you can't help but feel slightly crestfallen at his lack of presence.

"Don't worry, he won't run off with another girl," jokes Sasuke as he helps you yet again with your yukata. You sigh and shrug.

"Shut up." Right now, you weren't really sure if it was the right thing to do to cut yourself off from how you felt about Sasuke, but then again, he had no interest in starting a relationship with you whatsoever. Plus, since Itachi had already explicitly shown his feelings about you, then dating his younger brother would most likely start a mutiny in the clan. Ah, decisions, decisions.

Sasuke frowns, but seems to understand your anguish, so he doesn't hold it against you.

"Naka and Naori are coming over today," he says, adjusting your obi. "They're cool. That means they'll have an awesome gift for you." You manage a small grin.

"True that."

Dinner flies by tonight as it did yesterday, with the exception that Fugaku is present this time. For what seems to be the hundredth time (even though it's only actually the fourth) you make your way to the living room to be presented with your gift. You expect Sasuke to sit next to you, but after receiving a quick look from his father, he walks straight past you into his room, leaving you feeling a bit hurt and abandoned.

The couple present you with a box similar to the one Tekka and Yakumi had their gifts stored in, but when you open it, there are five kunai with five distinctively different coloured bandages wrapped around the handles: red, blue, green, brown, and yellow.

"All imbued with one of the five different chakra natures," says Naori, smiling at you. You pick up the one with the red bandaged handle and look it over, nodding with approval.

"You've attempted using jutsu of natures outside of your control before you, haven't you, (name)?" asks Naka. You nod. Primarily, you had great affinities with water and fire based chakra, and were still learning how to control lightning based chakra. You only knew how to execute one or two basic D-rank and C-rank earth and wind chakra based jutsu, and even then you still sucked. Looks like being a prodigy has its limits.

"Just out of curiousity, (name), but what natures do you have control over?" asks Naori.

"Water, fire, and lightning." She and her husband go silent, before they shake their heads and continue.

"Anyway, these kunai are very helpful, especially if you plan on using earth and wind jutsu," explains Naori. "They're... conductors, I suppose. They can help you control and channel said chakra, meaning you're basically temporarily allowed to use all five chakra natures in one battle." Your eyebrows shoot up as you take more interest in the kunai, saying "Oooo..."

"So... I just hold it and perform the jutsu?" you ask curiously, picking up the green handled one. Naori nods.

"But," interjects Naka,"you can't just go straight to using A-ranked earth or wind jutsu right away. Just like any other jutsu you learn, you have to start from the bottom."

"What about the other three?" You pick up the blue handled one and examine it. "Do I still need them as conductors, or...?"

Naka grins.

"That's the great thing about these things," he says. "May I have the fire kunai to demonstrate with, please?" You hand him the red handled kunai and he rolls up his sleeve, waving it around.

"Now say you're fighting an opponent in hand to hand combat," he says, watching the waving kunai. "Sometimes, to get that upper hand, you just need that little- spark!"

Your eyes widen as the kunai is engulfed in flames, but doesn't burn Naka's hand. Straight away, you pick up the blue handled kunai and attempt to do what he did. In seconds, water is swirling around your hand and the kunai, and you yelp in delight. You pull back your chakra, and exchange it for the lightning kunai. Just as fast as the water came about, lightning has begun sparking, and you breathe in awe.

"Woah," you say, staring at the bolts of lightning flashing around the kunai. Naka and Naori grin, and you look up at them, beaming.

"Thank you so much!" you exclaim, leaning forward and hugging the couple. Very untraditional, but very much deserved.

"You're very welcome, (name)."