chapter twenty

"How do you feel now?"

You struggle to keep up with Itachi as he leads you by the arm to the great garden where your birthday party was being held. Basically the entire clan and a few extras like Naruto and Sakura had been invited, so there wasn't a place indoors big enough to host all the gusts. Your free hand that held your ceremonial fan flopped as you stopped trying to walk in the massive junihitoe (twelve layered kimono) that you had been painstakingly dressed in by a couple of the elder Uchiha women.

"I feel... fat..." you wheeze, carrying the weight of twenty kilograms of pure cloth on your shoulders. "Plus... all this powder... is making... my face dry..."

Your huge multi layer kimono was the final gift from Fugaku and Mikoto, a costly investment indeed. Two and a half million ryo? Insane. Just pure insanity.

"Even if you did suddenly gain twenty kilos, I'd love you nonetheless," chuckles Itachi. "As I'm sure everyone else would." You roll your eyes.

Your face has been powdered white, your eyebrows drawn over with black pencil, and your lips daubed an atrocious shade of red. You felt like you were carrying an eight year old on your back, but it was worth it. The robe was all based on a purple colour, which, again, Mikoto said was "to bring out your eye."

"Shut up," you manage to say. Walking in this is such a drag, you think evilly to yourself, Itachi doing his best to give you the support you so desperately need. Finally, you two have reached the grand gated entrance to the garden, and the sun begins to set behind you, illuminating the sky with its magnificent shades of orange and maroon.

"You're a princess tonight," he beams, pushing the gates open. As soon as he does, it reveals a long and winding pathway up to a hedged area, making you groan. More walking.

"Some princess," you mutter, dragging your feet along the ground as you make your way up the footpath. Sure enough, there's a gateway through the hedge, and you see a mass of people just standing around, dressed in their finest, chatting and drinking while waiters move around offering finger food and music lightly plays in the background. There are tables, too, and you see a DJ set up at the front beside a raised stage. The entire place has been decked out in shimmering lights and lanterns, illuminating the guests below in their soft, pale light. You breathe loudly at the sight. A birthday party was one thing, but... this was absolutely magical.

Itachi hears your reaction, and chuckles.

"Like I said, you're a princess tonight," he says, softly grabbing your hand and leading you through the crowd to the raised stage at the front, where Mikoto and Fugaku are seated on. As you walk past, people say "Happy birthday!" here and there, but before you can even catch a glimpse of their faces Itachi's already lead you further ahead. You weren't sure of how this was going to go, seeing as you had no input whatsoever into the party's planning or preparation. Would it be traditional? Modern? Fast? Slow?

You don't know what to think as Itachi makes you sit on a pillow on stage, looking out over everyone. He stands behind you, and everyone goes silent at the sight of him towering over you with his hands on your shoulders.

"Welcome, everyone!" he says as the music dims into silence. He begins his speech.

"I'd firstly like to thank you all for being able to come and celebrate (name)'s special day today," he says, his voice loud and proud. "I myself would like to congratulate her. For the nine years I've known her, I've watched her evolve from a gawky, awkward little girl into a fully grown, beautiful and widely feared kunoichi." There are a few "Aww"s and smirks from the crowd, and even you blush a little.

Itachi laughs, and continues, awkwardly scratching the back of his head with one hand.

"I might as well let it out now before everyone starts partying," he says, voice almost wistful.

"I'll make it short and sweet for you guys. I love (name). I've loved her for the last nine years I've known her, and I know that I'll love her for way more years to come. I'm not much of a romantic, and when I act like one, I'm hopeless. I literally do not know what I plan on getting out of this. I just wanted to say it to her, right here, right now, in front of all our friends and family."

You seize up as Itachi lowers himself beside you and grasps your two hands in his. You swear you can hear girls in the crowd swooning over Itachi's love confession, making you blush even more. Half of the crowd can't even comprehend what's going on: was this your sixteenth birthday or your engagement party?

"(Name) Uchiha, you are the stupidest, dorkiest, most arrogant loser in my life that I have ever had the misfortune to come across," he states loudly, much to the crowd's shock. You glance down and see Sakura in the front row drop her drink, gaping at Itachi. Next to her Naruto snickers, earning him a punch in the face. Sasuke is nowhere to be seen.

"... but those traits make up a vast part of the reason why I love you so much," he ends softly. There's silence, and he grins at you before getting to his feet again.

"RIGHT! Now that that's over with, you all know to keep your hands off of my (name)!" he laughs, the rest of the crowd joining in with him. He nods at the DJ, who starts turning up some music.

"Now, it's time for the party to begin!"