chapter thirty eight

Itachi's P.O.V

She's got me trapped in Tsukuyomi. I'm absolutely sure of it.

I seem to be falling down an endless hole, and everything's colours are inverted. White becomes black, black becomes white. Then suddenly, I'm sitting right in the midst of a battle between (name) and Sensō's men, right where I'd been in body less than a millisecond ago.

I watch as an enemy shinobi goes to impale (name) on his katana, and scream my lungs out. I can't move: I can't breathe. All I can do is watch.

"(NAME)!"

It's as if everything is in slow motion; then I see Sasuke jump in front of (name) and take the blade.

Blood splatters my vision; I'm frozen to the spot as his lifeless body crumples to the ground before a wailing (name).

The vision replays in my head, over and over again, with the exception that the person being killed alternates.

Sasuke dies.

(Name) dies.

Sasuke dies.

(Name) dies.

And with every replay, I feel a little bit of myself die inside too.

Sasuke's P.O.V

"(NAME)! (NAME)!"

I'm screaming my head off while tears stream down my face as I see (name) being bound and tortured, all for my sake.

It's like her captors can't even see I'm there: all they're focused on is getting my whereabouts from (name), who's face is so badly mutilated I can barely tell who it is. She's hanging from a dank, crumbly old wall, her ankles and wrists chained heavily.

"LET HER GO! PLEASE!" I cry, invisible chains holding me back from leaping forward and helping her. None of them take heed of my presence.

They're speaking, but I can't hear a single word. One of the captors approaches (name), sneering as he wields a kunai in his hand.

I can only watch and cry.