Chapter 1 (Part 2) - I think... a War

(May 1)

A few tables away in the same restaurant, unknown to Khushi, two former college-mates were engaging in a discussion, which would directly affect her.

"So you've gone through the fine print. What do you think?" Sheetal asked the man sitting across from her.

Arnav Singh Raizada gave a last glance to the file labeled "Magnolia" in front of him. "You know what I think. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested."

"I knew this was too enticing for you to refuse. That is why I reached out to you," she stated coolly.

A couple of weeks ago, Sheetal had contacted Arnav with an offer that he apparently couldn't say no to. He had met her in Harvard Business School, some 8 years back. She was a legacy admission, the daughter of the famous Sunil Kapoor. They had dated for a few months finding similarities in the background that they came from, the social circles they frequented but that was about it. When it came to compatibility, it was quite clear to Arnav that they would never think along the same lines.

Arnav spoke, "I have done my research- Magnolia is small, currently, but has been carving a spot for itself. I see it going to the top in the future. This is a goose laying golden eggs and you want to sell it to me. Why? Why would you take such a decision? Give me an honest reason."

Sheetal didn't mince words. "Because I hate her."

Arnav knew that Sheetal was referring to Khushi, the young CEO. He could sense the poison in Sheetal's tone.

"I hate that my father gave half management control to her. I own the d*mn company but I can't control it fully. I don't care if it's the smallest company in the Kapoor Group. It was supposed to be mine. But if I can't have it, I won't let her keep it too," Sheetal answered his question.

She continued, "I can't fire her. She is a controlling partner. I tried to remove her by going to the board of directors but they prefer her to me because she can give them results. Selling to you is the best option."

"How is that the best option?" Arnav voiced his query, "You have a company which is doing so well, which is making you a lot of money and you don't even have to spend a fraction of the time that you spend in other companies. To me, that doesn't make much sense."

"Because you are thinking from a financial point of view without considering emotions," she reasoned.

Arnav smiled, "Businesses are done without emotions, Sheetal."

"So, in all these years, you've never taken down an enemy? Someone you hated personally?" she asked directly.

He smiled again, "If I start on a personal vendetta against everyone I hate, I wouldn't be where I am today. I make tough calls but it's all for my business. I don't have the time or need to enter this," he racked his brain, "This kitchen politics."

"It's not kitchen politics," Sheetal was offended, "I hate her-."

"-You hate her so you want to cripple yourself and take silly decisions," he interrupted her. "She doesn't even own Magnolia despite of building that company from the ground up. She is only a controlling partner for major decisions- which in itself are limited to very few. You own the entire thing. You get all the profit and the applause, without even lifting a finger."

"I told you," she stressed, "I don't care about this company."

"I can see that," he responded, "You are even willing to sell it to me for a price much lower than it's valuation. I am sure you'd find buyers who'd pay much more to you."

"But I don't want others," She proceeded to bare it all, "I chose you because the best thing is you are a corporate raider. You buy companies and them sell them for parts. When you buy this," she pointed at the Magnolia file, "You can do whatever the f*ck you want to with it."