Chapter 10 - What are we doing?

The end of 2nd week of June brought some respite to Khushi. It was Friday evening and she was to meet Payal, Akash and Arnav for dinner later that night. She had a breather and decided to use the free hour to catch up with her stranger.

(Friday, 16 June)

-Khushi- 5:10pm || Hello stranger! Have some time for your poor friend?

-Unknown- 5:12pm || Look who finally texted! You've forgotten me. :(

-Khushi- 5:12pm || I could never. It's the usual story- work. :(

-Unknown- 5:13pm|| Your employer is lucky to have you.

-Khushi- 5:13pm || I am my own employer :D

-Unknown- 5:14pm || Huh. Now it makes more sense.

-Unknown- 5:14pm || Your drive to work... You remind me of someone. A girl I know at work.

-Khushi- 5:15pm || Is this the same girl whose aloofness was bothering you?

Khushi recalled the conversation she had with him regarding a certain colleague of his- who's respect and attention he'd desperately wanted. He talked very highly of her. Khushi had asked him outright if he liked her, and he had denied.

-Unknown- 5:16pm || Yes! That's her. We're friendly now.

-Unknown- 5:16pm || By the way, I am amazed that you remember. That was... more than a month ago.

Khushi reflected at how time flew. She had been interacting with him for a month and a half now. Granted they hadn't spoken each day during this time period, yet whatever interactions they had, were etched in her mind. It was something she hadn't done before- maybe because she never found anyone like him- a stranger, connected to her because of a wrong number. Life could be so unpredictable sometimes.

-Unknown- 5:19pm || Are you there?

The ping noise woke her up from her thoughts. She scrolled through the string of messages that they had sent each other- up till the first message. Sighing, she asked him a question- something that was in her subconscious mind but now boring it's way to her consciousness.

-Khushi- 5:23pm || What are we doing?

-Unknown- 5:23pm || ??

-Khushi- 5:24pm || I mean... what are we? Are we friends?

-Khushi- 5:24pm || Or just 2 people who like talking to one another?

-Khushi- 5:25pm || Or 2 people who flirt occasionally... what is all this?

-Unknown- 5:26pm || Honestly, I don't know...But do we need to define?

-Khushi- 5:27pm || Definitions give stability.

-Khushi- 5:27pm || What if tomorrow one of us simply stops talking? How is the other one to cope with it?

-Unknown- 5:28pm || I am NOT going to stop talking to you.

-Unknown- 5:28pm || I relish these chats that we have. I like talking to you...

Three dots blinked on the screen as the stranger typed, deleted and re-typed something.

-Unknown- 5:30pm || I like you.