Chapter 6 - Do I look okay?

3 weeks after Khushi had met Payal, she got a surprise call from her cousin. Payal was in Delhi and wanted to meet her. On Saturday morning of that week, over a phone call, the sisters made a plan to meet.

"2 visits in 3 weeks? I can sense something major," Khushi put her phone on speaker as she applied butter on a toast. "Does this have to do with your mystery guy whom you won't tell me about?"

"Yes," she knew Payal was blushing. "We have... erm... decided something and..."

Khushi's ears perked up, "What?"

"We'll tell you everything. Over dinner," something in Payal's voice hinted at a good news.

"We!? Wait a minute. Am I going to meet this mystery guy?"

"Yes," Payal answered, "I have made reservations at that La Ambriose Restaurant. Meet us there tonight, at 8."

"Jiji!" Khushi was part stunned and part ecstatic, "I am so happy for you and even more excited to know your news. What's his name? Tell me something!"

"Nope," Payal teased her, "See for yourself tonight."

---------

Khushi always thought she wasn't one of those girls who would have a wardrobe stuffed with clothes yet have "nothing to wear." Tonight, she found herself in that boat. Since she earlier assumed, she had many choices for tonight, she spent her Saturday going through some work files. When the clock struck 6, she gathered it was time to get ready and opened her closet.

Most of her clothes were office suits, skirts and shirts and the remaining were pyjamas and comfortable shirts to sleep in. She rummaged through her closet and half an hour later, found a dress suitable for the evening. It was a white off-shoulder gown.

She put it on, tied her hair in a messy bun and paired it up with diamond earrings. She went for a minimal makeup look tonight. She looked at her wrist watch- 6:47pm. Payal had made dinner reservations at 8. It would take her some 10 minutes to reach the restaurant. She was all ready, much before time.

She decided to have a glass or two of wine to kill some time. Uncorking a bottle of red wine, she poured herself half a glass. Her phone pinged indicating a new message.

She smiled to herself well aware of who the sender was. It was her mysterious stranger. She hadn't spoken to him since a few days. The last time was when he was asking her help to woo over some colleague.

She had been in contact with him for 2 weeks now and yet had a long text conversation only a handful of times. Other times they'd have a quick chat. It wasn't like she didn't want to. But she couldn't make time out. For so many years, work had been her only focus, so much so that she, unknowingly had made work her life. This stranger and his texts were a welcome change but like any change, she was having a hard time figuring out how to make this addition to her schedule.

She unlocked her phone to read the text.

(May 20, Saturday)

-Unknown- 6:59pm || No text this weekend. Did you forget poor old me?

She chuckled at his words and took a sip from the glass. The past two weekends, she was the one who had initiated the conversation. This weekend she was so bogged down with work and Payal's mysterious meeting that she couldn't find the time to sms.

-Khushi- 7:00pm || Are you missing me?

She bit her lip as she pressed on 'sent.' When had she come out of her comfort zone and started flirting with strangers?