Chapter 11 - It's Nothing

A/N- Thanks for the encouraging response and support. It really keeps me going. Do keep sharing your views/any feedback. And massive apologies for the delay. (Some stuff got in the way). Hope you all enjoy the next part(s)!

(June 16 -22)

An uneasy feeling was subconsciously bothering Arnav. Currently he was in a restaurant, dining with Payal, Akash and Khushi yet his mind would wander off to the conversation he had earlier in the day with his stranger.

He had told her that he liked her. And he could tell she liked him too. When he wanted to take forth their relationship from the virtual world to the real one, she had agreed. Her last text was that pacts could be reneged on- the pact that they had of not sharing things, which were too personal. She wanted to go beyond the virtual world too. Yet, after that, she hadn't texted him. The conversation was left hanging.

It wasn't the first time. He knew she was always busy with work, so leaving a conversation mid-way wasn't unusual. Yet, today's conversation wasn't a typical one. He couldn't help re-check his phone for a new text... or something from her.

The dinner table had gone quiet. Arnav was busy checking his phone, Payal and Akash were flipping through the menu and Khushi seemed lost in some thought.

"Are you all right?" Arnav asked Khushi in a whisper.

"Ermm..." she muttered in response, "I..."

"Ready to order?" the waiter's voice interrupted them. Payal started placing the order and Arnav decided to check his phone, again.

Suddenly his phone started ringing. Arnav froze when he saw the caller's number- It was his stranger! She was calling him!

"You want to get that?" Akash asked on seeing Arnav shell-shocked.

Before Arnav could respond to Akash or receive the call, it disconnected. Akash and Payal went back to placing their order to the waiter but it was Khushi, whose face Arnav focused on. Her jaw had dropped open and she looked stunned.

"What's the matter?" Arnav asked concerned. The issue of the stranger calling him had taken a backseat.

"I..." Khushi abruptly stood up and picked her handbag. Her gaze wavered from Payal to Akash before settling on Arnav, "I have to go. I have some... urgent work. Sorry guys!"

"Is everything fine?" Payal inquired.

Khushi smiled, rather tried to, "Yes. It's just some work. Please enjoy your dinner. I am really sorry about the trouble." She then turned to face Payal, "I'll see you at home."

"Okay," Payal replied once assured.

Khushi walked out of the restaurant and Arnav excused himself, trying to follow up to her. She was waiting at the pavement when Arnav caught up to her.

"What is it?" he asked again, clearly not believing the excuse, "And don't tell me it's work."

Khushi seemed even more stunned when she turned around to face him, "I..." she stammered like she had earlier.

"Is it because of what happened earlier?" he asked, "In the office? Is this about the cancelled deal?"

This time she shook her head, "No. This is not about the deal."

A white cab pulled up to the side of the pavement and Khushi waved at the driver.

"My cab's here," she informed him, "I have to go."

Before she could walk away, Arnav, without thinking, grabbed her arm, "Wait. I can't let you leave like this. Something is bothering you."

She bit her lip and Arnav could tell that she was contemplating if she could divulge to him.