Chapter 2 - I owe you a Coffee

(May 1-2)

Khushi had spent the better part of the evening trying do some damage control with Channel 18 News. Sheetal had impulsively, without consulting her, cancelled the meeting. The CEO and MD not being on the same page, didn't reflect well on the company's image. And a news channel just needed a spicy bit to blow things out of proportion.

Due to that, she could hardly think about the new MD. When Khushi left her cabin, later that evening, to meet with the PR from Channel 18 (a meeting she had rescheduled), Lavanya was busy typing on her laptop. She was getting all information on this new MD- this Arnav.

By tomorrow morning, Lavanya would have made a detailed report on him. This would give Khushi time to read and get to know this man before officially meeting him.

---------

The next morning, Khushi stopped at a café next to her office to grab her usual cup of coffee. She needed her dose of caffeine today more than other days. As she was the CEO, Sheetal had arranged for Khushi to introduce the new MD to the heads of departments of the company. Lavanya had informed of Sheetal's directive late at night, after Khushi was already drained off energy having spent the better part of the evening with Channel 18.

The meeting was to take place at 9am. She had to go and study Lavanya's report on this Raizada guy. So she had started her day, a couple of hours earlier than usual. With less sleep and despite of cold shower, she felt exhausted when the morning had barely begun.

Khushi needed more than a couple cups of coffee, she reckoned while standing behind a person who was placing his order at the counter. It was 7:30 in the morning and the café was vacant save for a staff and 2 customers.

The man in front of her got his double shot of espresso and stepped aside. Khushi placed the same order and the staff- a young girl, started working at the espresso machine.

Khushi eyed her wristwatch and tapped her foot impatiently. The coffee was taking longer than usual.

"Umm..." came the barista's voice, "there seems to be some problem with the machine. It'll take some time to get fixed."

"How long?" she asked annoyed.

This was the closest café to her office, which opened so early. She didn't have time to do a coffee run. She had to reach her cabin and go through the report on the new MD. And Lavanya too would come by 8:30am- her usual time. At her current state, she wouldn't be able to last for 1:30hrs without some caffeine boost.

"Someone will come and check," the girl replied, "maybe an hour... sorry."

Khushi begrudgingly nodded at the girl. She started to head out of the café when she heard someone call her.

"Hey," said the only other customer in the shop. He was holding his cup of espresso, which she eyed longingly.

"Yes?" she asked.

"Umm..." he trailed off before speaking, "You can have this cup." He held out the Styrofoam cup, which was steaming. "I haven't drunk it yet."

"What?" she said in tone of confusion and amusement.

"You look like you need it more than I do," he answered with a smile.

"You are offering your morning coffee to a random stranger. Just like that?" she asked, curious.

He shrugged his shoulder, "I figured I could wait for another one. You don't look like you could."

Khushi studied the stranger. He was tall, dressed impeccably in a black suit and a white shirt with his hair slicked back, yet some strands were falling on his forehead.