Chapter 22

Serilda

"Father," the words slipped from my mouth in shock as he stepped in the place that was occupied by Erik. We started to dance and I was thankful for my feet that kept on moving because my mind was reeling from the shock.

"I never thought that I would be ever alive to see this day," the words just kept on slipping. "I haven't even had a chance to have a father-daughter dance with you." I didn't know how to feel happy or shocked or be resentful. He had never been present, never given me attention for a second of the day and here he was dancing with me.

"I'm sorry for that," he apologized and it had been the first time for so long that I had to hear his voice since that fateful day I was forced to marry. He apologized and I wanted to pinch myself just to make sure this was happening or else it was my mind trying to indulge in a dream that never could have fulfilled.

"I ..I," he hesitated. "I just wanted to talk to you about the wedding,"

"What about it?"

"I don't want you to ruin it. This is important for Serena and she is important for me," he said in a strict tone and within second the whole shock and happiness that I had started to feel worn out. All I could feel now was anger. All he ever cared was about her. Everyone cared about her and I had no realization why. How come she was so goddamn important and I wasn't? What gave her the right to be this important? Was it because she was the first born or was it because I was unlovable? Why? Why? I wanted to cry out and ask but I controlled myself. It just made me realize again and again why I was right in doing everything I wanted to.

"And what about me? Was I ever important to you?" I asked haughtily.

"You are," he said with hesitance and my tears welled up with tears because I knew it was a lie.

"So nice of you to lie," I replied trying to blink away the angry tears away. "I know I'm not and never will be because let's get real. You won't even know how old I'm or even when my birthday was. All my life you have been absent in my life and my mother has only been there just to mold me into this perfect daughter that this society demands. Neither of you has cared about me for even an ounce. I would have been dead and you wouldn't have cared in the world about me. You would have just shown up with crocodile tears to make the world believe that you loved me. You are good for nothing father to me,"

"Stop this," he angrily said.

"Why should I?" I laughed out. "Give me one good reason that why I shouldn't ruin this wedding? You can't because you don't have any but you, mom, her and Erik have given me so many reasons to ruin this wedding, to make sure that this wedding would be the most enjoyable and rememberable event that this society has seen. It would be so exciting father and everyone will enjoy it so much that when this wedding will be over you won't be left with anything. However, if you give me one valid reason I would think about not ruining this. Can you give one, dearest father?" I asked angrily and was rewarded with silence with anger and fearful eyes.

"She is my daughter, and your sister," he said haughtily.

"I wish you would have remembered that I was too. I wish she would have remembered that. Even my mother hadn't remembered that. I was just a thing for you all to save your face when she had run away. I will leave you with nothing but a shame that you will have to hide your face from this pretty society that is so precious to you," I warned him with my voice a bit too loud to have gain attention to others but low enough that only he understood what I was saying.

"You ungrateful child!" he whisper-yelled angrily. "You are the one who made her---," he was interrupted.

"May I cut in?" interrupted Nathaniel with a smile on his face. My father composed his anger and smiled at him.