Breathe

Billy knew something was wrong when he felt like he couldn't breathe in the school hallway. Everything had been fine that day, besides the fact he kept thinking about hooking up with Steve. But that part had been normal to him, as he'd always find himself thinking about that. What wasn't normal, however, was his chest tightening after witnessing Steve Harrington kiss his girl.

In the five months of them messing around this definitely was not the first time he'd seen Steve love on his girlfriend. But it had been the first time he felt like he was actually dying seeing it occur. He did know that it was an anxiety attack as he'd seen his mom go through it a few times a week, but he hadn't experienced one in months.

He rushed his way outside of the building and just took in deep breaths. When he felt himself become less tense he rested his head in his hands with a sigh. This isn't good, he told himself. He shouldn't be feeling that way. This was supposed to be just for fun but it didn't feel fun right then.

He could hear his father's voice in the back of his telling him to stop being such a pussy, and so he stood up straight and made his expression stoic. He forced himself not to care as he made his way back inside. Steve was still there with Nancy, just talking away. Billy could feel his eyes on him though as he walked over to Willow, a sophomore who happened to have the biggest crush on Billy. Not much different from every other girl in the school but he couldn't care less really.

He could still feel an angry stare coming from Steve as he left with her. That made Billy excited in an odd way as he led Willow to his car. She sucked his cock and he laid his head back and thought of Steve. In that very moment he wanted to have Steve all to himself, fucking his face until he came, claiming him as his own.

And so Billy shut his eyes and imagined him in the passenger seat with his head in the blonde's lap, licking around the shaft and head. He gasped and laid his hand down on the girl's head, grateful for the fact that the texture of her hair was similar to Steve's. And in his head, it was Harrington as he pushed down to bring his length deeper into the warm mouth.

"Gonna come, Princess," Billy accidentally said aloud as the familiar coils of heat reached his abdomen. Willow moaned at the sound of the pet name that she had no idea wasn't meant for her. He pretended that the sound came from him instead and thrusted his hips up violently, his fingers knotting in the brown locks of hair. He came with a curse and filled the mouth he wanted so badly to be Steve's.

His breathing had been heavy as Willow pulled away, the fantasy over. She looked up at him with pleading eyes as though she was expecting something in return.

"Get out of my car." Billy's voice was low and dark as he turned away from the poor girl. He felt like shit when she muttered a broken what?

"Get. The. Fuck," Billy took in a deep breath to calm himself, "Out of my car." The blonde repeated and tears fell from her eyes before opening the door and leaving him alone with his thoughts. He closed his pants and threw his head back with a sigh.

He was such an asshole and he knew it. He didn't want to be that way, but it's just second nature to him. His mom used to tell him to watch his temper or he'd be all alone, but that was before she was sent away. Angry tears filled his eyes at the thought of his mother and immediately he blinked them away, and forced himself to think of other things.

He wondered when the feeling actually started. He wasn't exactly sure but it was probably when he started to spend the night at Steve's after hooking up, or more specifically the night Steve woke up from a nightmare calling for him and not for Nancy.

It had been storming that night pretty hard and it made Billy relaxed, whereas it put Steve on edge. He seemed irritable but made it clear that Billy didn't have to leave. Hargrove soon realized it was because the brunette didn't really want him to leave and he was more than fine with that.

Billy fell asleep just a few inches away from Steve, but never touching. They didn't cuddle. Or, rather, they didn't until that night.

"Billy-no-no-...BILLY-" The blonde woke up abruptly at the sound of his name and didn't waste time pinning his thrashing arms down so Steve wouldn't hurt himself and forced him to wake up, "It's okay, Harrington, you're okay." After a few minutes of that Steve finally calmed. Billy moved away to give him space, just to be pulled back in with long arms wrapped around him. He stiffened but stayed still, careful as to not set him off.

"Steve-" Billy started but was immediately cut off by the groggy boy in his arms.

"Shut up. Don't say anything." Steve whispered into Billy's chest. And so he didn't, he stayed silent as he hesitantly returned the embrace. Billy's heart thudded loudly at the feel of Steve's shaky breath against his skin and he could tell there was no way they'd be going back to sleep any time soon.

"It was a nightmare." Steve said after almost an hour of pure silence. Billy wanted to say no shit, but decided it was best not to be total dick in that moment.

"You were being killed right in front of me." There were many things wrong with that sentence. Why would he dream of stuff like that and why would he even care? Billy asked internally. And then he found himself actually asking outloud, and he almost wished he hadn't.

Steve explained everything to Billy. The Upside Down, the death of a girl named Barbara, and a kid who could move things with her mind. He told Billy that he'd seen the face of a monster and that monster shows up in his dreams and kills the people he cares about most.

"You care about me?" Steve groaned at Billy's question and pushed at his chest. The blonde supposed he didn't need an answer because he already knew. Ever since that night he came over after his father had pushed him down and kicked him like ten times, Steve had been a little kinder, and it increased in a way every time Billy came by with a new bruise or cut.

"You probably think I'm crazy."

"I've known crazy, princess. And you're not that." Billy said matter of factly. He didn't exactly believe Steve, but he could pretty much handle anything by that point. His mom would see things that weren't there and would even hurt herself sometimes in an attempt to make it all stop and Billy had been the only one there that could help her. He explained to Steve that his dad had given up; sent her away, remarried and moved away to start a new life.

So, no, Billy did not think Steve was crazy, as he didn't even really believe his mom was. Harrington sat quietly through the whole story and just cuddled even closer to Billy once it was over.

Of course it had been that night. The first time he held Steve in his arms had been the night his feelings turned into something more. After that night Steve stopped saying each time was the last, so deep down Billy hoped on some level he felt the same way.

_____________