Feminine

Billy was really disappointed when he saw Nancy get out of Steve's car. To him, that meant he had made his choice. He figured he was wrong though when they both started walking up to him. He put out the cigarette he had been smoking and stood tall, as he expected to be slapped across the face by Nancy.

He was beyond surprised when she actually had her hand out to shake his. His brow raised as he returned the gesture, giving Steve a confused look from behind her. The brunette just smiled at him, letting Billy know that he did in fact make a choice, and it had been him. And apparently Nancy was taking it really well.

As they walked into the building Billy was brought up to speed about everything, how Steve and Nancy were done and how Wheeler was dating Jonathan Byers anyway. The only thing Billy cared about though was having Steve all to himself, and he got that. But he guessed it wouldn't hurt to have friends like Nancy and Jonathan, he decided as they walked up to Byers as he stood by his locker.

Nancy walked up to him and took his hand. He looked up at Steve with a terrified gleam in his eyes. Steve only shrugged as he discreetly took Billy's hand in his. Just for a second though to show there were no hard feelings at all. Jonathan nodded in understanding before looking down at Nancy with his features now relaxed, a smile on his face now that they weren't a secret anymore.

Billy didn't expect things to go so smoothly. It made him feel on edge, like something was gonna go wrong any second because there was just no way things could just work out for him. Seemingly though the rest of the school day went on without a hitch. Even at lunch when Billy decided to sit with Steve and his friends instead of Tommy H and Carol. Nancy had asked Billy how he felt about going on a double date and he said sure seeing as he was off from work that night. He got to hold Steve's hand under the table for a few minutes before lunch had ended. That had been real nice.

Once school was over he went to the middle school building to pick up Max and Lucas seeing as that day started his deal with Sinclair. Billy had a bad feeling when he only saw Lucas and not his sister.

"Where's Max?" Billy asked as Sinclair put his bike in the back.

"She got signed out like.. an hour ago? I don't know why, she wasn't sick or anything." Lucas got into the car and once the door shut Billy felt a sinking feeling deep in his gut. Something was wrong. He rushed to get Sinclair home despite him begging him to slow down. He couldn't though, not with the way his heart was beating. He rushed Lucas out once they got to his house and the poor boy wasn't even able to get his bike when Billy pulled the loudest U-turn his neighborhood had probably ever heard.

He never thought about how not being home as much would affect his home life. He never thought about Max or if she was safe. He cursed at himself as pulled into his street and in front of his house. He got out slowly, dread filling his being as he got halfway, it wasn't until he heard Max screaming did he finally run to the door and swing it open.

Neil Hargrove had his hands gripping the girl's arms hard, face inches from hers as he spoke.

"Shut the door."

Billy's eyes never left Max's as he did as he was told. Max tried to hold back her sobs but it was hard seeing as she was being pushed up against the bookshelf in the living room.

"Come on, dad. She's just a kid. How about you.. um, let her go." Billy suggested through a stammer. Neil pushed her into the wall even harder and she yelped out in pain.

"Not until I get the truth." Neil whispered, his voice filled with malice. "I'm gonna ask you one more time, Maxine. Are you messing around with a black guy?" Max's eyes were burning with rage as she spit in his face. She would have gotten hit if it wasn't for Billy pulling him back. Max gave him a grateful look before running to her room.

"Leave her alone." Billy found the strength to say. Neil laughed as he looked at his son up and down, disgust evident in his eyes.

"You were next anyway, son. Seeing as both my kids think they can go behind my back doing shit they aren't supposed to." Billy's blood ran cold at the sudden realization that his father knew.

"You must think I'm goddamn stupid if you thought I wasn't gonna notice months of you sneaking around." Neil said after he pushed Billy against the front door, hard. The blonde sucked in air as the back of his head made contact with the wood.

"Your mom kept putting all that shit in your head when you were little about love and acceptance. I see now that no matter how hard I tried to teach you right, you still turned out to be a weak little faggot. Guess I'll just have to fix that." And with that his dad punched his jaw, making him stumble to his knees.

"What'd I teach you about planting your feet, boy?" Neil asked as he punched him again, making Billy fall to side. His dad his kicked at his ribs. He had his work boots on, Billy realized. They hurt the most. He had only gotten kicked a couple times before his dad forced him back on his feet. He dragged the already winded boy to the couch and made him sit down.

"You have hair just like your mom. Long and curly. Feminine." His dad added as he neared him. "Not fit for a boy." He whispered darkly as scissors came into Billy's line of sight. The blonde tried to get up but he was pushed back down.

"Don't. Fucking. Move." His dad warned as brought the scissors to his curly locks. Billy let out a shuddered breath as the first cut fell to his lap. Silent tears ran down his cheeks as more and more of his hair were being chopped off. His head hurt.

A knock on the door made Neil stop and for the moment Billy was thankful. That was until the door opened and the voice he recognized was Steve's, asking if he could see him. No, Billy thought, go home, The blonde couldn't make the words come out. He was shaking as his father told Steve to come in.

"Billy?" Steve looked completely mortified by the sight of him. Run, Hargrove wanted to scream but he felt as though he had no fight left. That changed though once his dad took Steve by his throat and pushed him against the door.

After that it was all a blur for Billy. The only thing he really remembered was Steve yelling for him to stop. Stop what? Billy asked himself as everything finally went dark.

____________