Love

Billy's doctors wouldn't let Steve see him at first. He wasn't family. Hopper put them in their place though, something about one of them being a drunk, and how easily they could loose their medical license. Steve didn't really care though as long as he got to see Billy.

His parents didn't understand why he went to the hospital so much. They also didn't understand why he would stay until visiting hours were over. Frankly, Steve didn't care about what they thought, not on that. He wanted to try to be there when Billy woke up. Of course he made sure to make it to school, Billy would be pissed if Steve skipped on his account.

It had been the same for the first two days. He sat next to Billy's bed and held his hand. He would talk to him and tell him how much he missed him. He was pretty sure he couldn't hear him but it felt better than sitting in silence.

Max was there the first day and the second day,  but she wasn't allowed to stay as long Steve because of homework. Which didn't seem fair to her because Steve did his homework there. It's because of Neil, Max said one day her mom left them in the room together to talk to a doctor. Mr. Hargrove didn't want Max to have anything to do with Billy.

Susan tried to stay one day with Max and Steve, but he assumed she could feel the anger radiating off of him and decided to leave. Steve would rather be alone with him anyway. He couldn't hold his hand in front of Susan, though he should have figured she must have known by then.

His head had been wrapped in gauze because his surgery. His face was still bruised from where is father had hit him. He was still Steve's pretty guy, no matter what though.

On the third day, it almost felt like a routine. Steve was already preparing himself for doing this for awhile. The doctors didn't know exactly when or if he was gonna wake up, so Steve knew he'd be seeing him until the day he did.

What wasn't routine was Billy's heart stopping. Steve was holding his head and he said I love you, Billy. After that the machine next to him started to make this really loud noise that brought him into a panic. He yelled for help and a doctor rushed in and tried to force Steve to leave.

He didn't. He was in the corner with tears running down his face because there was no way Billy was dying. It wasn't fair. Billy was trying to be a better person. He barely got the chance to be that. He tugged at his hair as they shocked him two times and nothing happened.

The third time, however, his eyes shot open.  Billy looked disoriented at first until his eyes laid on Steve. They locked eyes as the doctors removed all of the tubes from him seeing as he was awake. Steve was still in the corner, waiting for everyone to leave.

"There may be some neurological problems down the road. I want you to see your doctor every two weeks to see if anything changes." Billy just nodded his head at her and she left them be. Steve was still in pure shock. The blonde smiled and motioned for the brunette to come to him.

"Come kiss me, princess."

Steve didn't even care about the pet name at the time. The only thing he cared about was feeling his lips against Billy's, the rough and sweet feel of it. He knew to be gentle but the kiss was deep and rushed like he'd never be able to kiss him again. Billy chuckled softly as he ran his fingers through Steve's brown locks.

"Don't cry." Billy whispered as they pulled away. He wiped them away from Steve's cheeks and let his hand rest there. Steve wanted to feel stupid for crying. It was the unmanly thing to do. But in that moment all of that shit honestly felt like dumbest thing in the world so yeah, he let himself cry for his guy.