Sulk

Billy and Max both sat in the school parking lot in silence. He was too stiff to move, to even start the car. He felt like it was closing in around him as he waited for a response from her. He didn't exactly know why he even told her seeing as she had a direct link to his dad, her mother. And though he'd accepted his sexuality long ago, his dad would not and he was pretty sure he would kill him. That thought made it even harder to breathe, and the only thing that kept him from kicking her out of the car was Max finally speaking.

"I knew that already. Back in Cali.. I saw you with a couple guys, and I-.. I didn't care. I didn't tell my mom or your dad." She sighed, playing with her book bags zipper as she spoke, seemingly nervous with the first real conversation she had with her step brother.

"That's not an excuse though. You don't get to go on a racist rampage on my boyfriend because you're having a gay panic." Max said sternly, finally looking up at him. Billy turned to look at her as well, and could see she was shaking. She was scared. She was scared of him and that hurt more than he thought possible.

"It wasn't.. that. I don't have an excuse. I'm.. I'm not a good person, Max." He toyed with the keys in his hand and felt like shit for the millionth time that day. Max leaned back in the chair and exhaled another sigh.

"You're not a good person." She said finally, and it felt like a weight fell on top of him, "but you can be. You really could be a good person if you tried." It was almost funny to him how much she sounded like his mom in that moment.

"I'll try, okay?" Billy conceded as he started his Camaro, concentrating on the beautiful sound of his engine and not on how he feels about Steve Harrington, and anything else that made it hard for oxygen to flow through his body like it was supposed to.

                          ____________

Nancy never showed up to lunch. Neither did Jonathan. They were his only friends, and they were not there, so he sat alone.

Billy was still nowhere to be found. Steve had assumed at first that he went off with that girl, Willow. He knew that couldn't be the case once he saw her in the corner of the cafeteria with her friends. She was crying in another girl's arms and he had no doubt that it was Billy's handiwork.

Billy was such an ass but Steve was no better.

When school let out he didn't even try looking for Nancy. He couldn't force himself to look at her like he loved for any longer that day. He went straight home and sulked. He wasn't sure if Billy was coming over but he hoped he would.

This sucks, Steve thought as he laid on the big couch in his living room. He shouldn't have followed Billy to that room those many months ago. He shouldn't have kissed him back. He shouldn't have fucked him.

He shouldn't have fallen in love with him.

Not here in this little town. In Cali. Definitely in San Francisco. But they're not there. It's Hawkins, Indiana, and Steve was pretty sure the people there thought being gay was some type of urban legend.

That was another thing that left Steve more confused than ever. He didn't feel gay, but he didn't feel straight either. He could still have sex with Nancy and enjoy it. He groaned at the thought of being with Nancy that way and turned over onto his side.

He did enjoy sex with her. But it wasn't the same as it was with Billy. With him he could be as rough and as aggressive as he wanted, whereas with Nancy he forced himself to be gentle. And the biggest problem of them all had been his stupid feelings and how he had been starting to feel the urge to hold Billy after sex. He didn't really feel that way for Nancy anymore and he knew that it was selfish to put her through that.

Hours pass and nothing. No knock and no ring of his doorbell. At some point he decided to wait and just shut his eyes at the same time. It wasn't his intention to fall asleep but that was what happened, and his dream consisted of Billy on all fours on that same couch, screaming for nothing but Steve. The dream had been a nice escape from the reality where he currently wanted to kiss him gently and hold onto him.

Steve, fuck me, dream Billy's voice wasn't as patronizing. It was a little softer, with a little less edge to it. It wasn't the same, and Steve wanted it to be. But for the moment he went along with the scenario and did as the dream Billy asked.

Steve fucked him hard and gripped at his curls. It was nothing compared to the real thing, but the sight of his cock disappearing and reappearing inside Billy's ass was a beautiful thing. So it was pretty annoying when a vigorous knock came from Steve's front door.

Don't answer it, Dream Billy breathed, and so Steve didn't. He kept on until the knocking got louder and louder, until his dream eventually dissipated.

He woke with a very aggravated groan and speed walked to the door. If was too tired to expect Billy there on the other side, he was definitely too tired to be expecting an obviously high Billy Hargrove.

That night was going to be a long one, Steve soon realized.

                           ____________