Chapter 1: Life Changes

A/N: Before we begin. I just wanted to remind everyone again that this is a complete work of fiction. I do not know any of the famous athletes in this story nor do I know their personalities. In addition, many of the facts and stats will likely be inaccurate! I <3 the Patriots and would never think of slandering the organization nor any player of that team. With all that said - Enjoy Reading!!!!

I was beyond excited when Brett, my boyfriend of 6 years, called me yesterday to say he had made us dinner reservations at one of the nicest restaurants in the Back Bay Area of Boston. Brett and I haven't been able to see as much of each other over this last year, with him being a 1st year Intern at one of the major hospitals and my promotion to Project Manager at the Children's Hospital.

My nerves were flared up and I was starting to shake. Brett and I had been talking long term plans for years. I moved to Boston for college, when he moved to Boston for medical school. We decided not to live together immediately, with his crazy hours and schedule. He rented a 3-bedroom apartment just off the hospital campus with a few other interns and I had a 2-bedroom apartment in Coolidge Corner.

Brett talking about going to a fancy restaurant just before he entered his second year of residency had me thinking more and more about those plans. I needed to call my best friend, Ashlynn, who happened to live just down the hall from me in the same complex. I picked my cell phone up and quickly clicked Ashlynn's name from my list of favorites.

"Ashlynn..." I said once she picked up. "Are you home?" It was Thursday night around 5 PM, our dinner reservation was for 7:30 PM. Thursdays are usually her busiest nights with meetings that often run until 6:30 or 7:00.

"Yeah... Well almost... I'm just walking into the building... What's up?" She asked as I could hear her voice muffle as she must have moved her phone to her shoulder to use her key to gain access to our building.

"I'm freaking out... I have no idea what to wear for dinner tonight with Brett and I could really use your help." I stood peering into my closet in just a towel, since I just finished taking a shower and shaving, and bit the edge of my fingernail. I know it's a bad habit of mine that I tended to do subconsciously when I had a lot on my mind. I started sliding dresses along the rail trying to decide on what to wear.

"I'll be there... Give me like 2 minutes..." She replied and we hung up.

I walked into the front room to and bounced on the tips of my toes, as I waited for her to get off the elevator. The moment I heard the elevator ding, I flung open the door to see her walking off loaded down with her purse and work bag. She laughed at me.

"Seriously Hazel... What if it wasn't me getting off the elevator right at that moment?" She pushed past me walking into my apartment and I closed the door. She walked to my kitchen and placed her things on a chair near the island. I shrugged my shoulders.

"Ugh... Whatever... No one wants to see this anyway..." I shrugged my shoulders and waved a hand down my towel covered body. "But heck if they really want to... Then let them enjoy!" I laughed it off. Don't get me wrong I don't hate my body, but I am realistic. I don't have one of those bodies that men seem to drool over. I'm not skinny by any means, and I don't have a super athletic body build. I like to think of myself as average with curves. I do work out on occasion, but my job keeps me pretty busy that I just don't seem to have as much time to spend in the gym as I used to.

"Hazel Elizabeth..." Ashlynn sighed. "Stop it! You have a beautiful body... There are plenty of men out there that love curves! If they didn't... How would I be able to have steady stream of dates every weekend?" She cocked an eyebrow at me. I just chuckled in response. Ashlynn had a body men went crazy over. She wasn't particularly skinny either. We were the same size, but she carried herself with way more confidence than I did. I'm still coming to terms that my body type has changed from the athletic one I had all during high school and college to this womanlier one I've developed since working full-time.