S e v e n

I'm not too sure how to start this. I just needed to write something
——
Gwen's phone rang. It was 12:30 AM. Way to early in the morning for anyone to call her.

Yet there she was, groaning as she forced herself to look at the bright screen. She hesitantly picked the phone up and stared at the screen for a moment, trying to decipher what the letters spelt out with her blurry eyes.

David. David was calling her at 12:30 in the morning when he could've just gotten up from his side of the cabin and knock on her door.

Gwen answered the phone eventually though, pissed off a little bit.

"Hey, Gwen, uh-" David stuttered through his end of the phone.

"David, you should've just knocked on my door. It's 12:30 and I'm fucking tired." Gwen didn't get a response at first.

"Sorry..." David mumbled. It was way to quiet for Gwen to be sure it was David. "I-I just..."

Both ends of the phone went silent for a solid minute. It felt like much, much longer for both of them though.

David almost broke down after the silence. "I-" He hesitated, letting out a shaky sigh. That's when Gwen realized that David was, or was on the verge of, crying. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have called. S-Sorry Gwen-"

"Stop apologizing David." Gwen quickly cut David off. "Just Tell me what's wrong."

David inhaled sharply. On his end, he looked down, closing his eyes. "I don't know how to say this..." He was starting to regret calling. If he just hung up though, David knew Gwen would get worried.

He knew that she cared a lot more then she let on.

"Take your time." Gwen had been sitting up now just so she didn't fall asleep. David was always there for her. Always reassuring her and lifting her spirits.

David certainly took his time. There was another void of silence on David's end.

'You should've just written the note, David. What the fuck were you thinking...'

David started to yell at himself mentally.

"I...I think I've been... been o-off my medication for too long, Gwen..." David finally managed to spit out.

It scared Gwen hearing those words. Especially from David. David was never like this. Ever.

"David. Listen to me. Don't do anything dumb. I'm coming. Where are you?" Gwen shot out of her bed and slipped a sweatshirt on.

David didn't reply at first.
Gwen excited the cabin, having an idea about where he might be.

"Gwen. Please... don't look for me..." David's voice was barely audible through the phone.
"I-I can't do this anymore. Believe me... I've tried."

David dangled his legs off of the cliff, looking up at the starts. His eyes were glossy, and a few tears fell down his cheeks.

"David, hold on." Gwen started to run faster than she thought she'd be able to.

"I know that when shit hits the fan, I gotta try and push through it. It's just... Gwen, I feel like I've been pushing for so long." David went quiet again as he could hear twigs snapping through Gwen's end of the phone. "My arms are getting tired from pushing."

"Maybe this... this is the best for all of us." David finally choked back a sob and stood up, taking a few steps away from the cliff.

"Gwen none of this is your fault. Not the campers. Not the QM. Not Cameron. Nobody you've ever met. Nobody I've ever talked about."

David let out a dry chuckle as an attempt to stop the tears from flowing down his face. It didn't work and he tears became more frequent on his cheeks.

Gwen was starting to reach the cliff that David was planning to jump off of. She could barely make out his frame.

"Please, Gwen." David pleaded, "Don't blame yourself for this"

Gwen was wishing this was all a dream. But the burning in her lungs as she ran proved otherwise.

"I've been thinking about doing this for... for a while. I should've-" David finally started to break down. He heard the twigs snapping behind him from Gwen and didn't finish his sentence.

If he jumped right now, he'd be breaking the promise he made to his mother 10 years ago.

Gwen hadn't realized that she was crying as she approached David's slim build.

David slowly crept up on the edge of the cliff. His bare toes were over the edge.
'One step, David. Life or death. Choose before Gwen stops you.'

David turned his head to look at Gwen, freezing her in her tracks.

"David I know exactly how you feel right now. Even if thinks don't look good right now, they will eventually. You have to believe in it." Gwen spoke carefully as if her breath could push David off the cliff.

"I've- Gwen I've believed for so long! I can't keep pushing like this." David could feel the breeze try to push him away from the cliff. "I can't do this anymore."

Gwen was slightly taken back but she took a step towards David. "David let me help you." She spoke softly despite the few tears that fell every few seconds. "I swear to- whatever you believe in- that I can help you. You just have to give me a chance."

"That's the same thing every else said. Look where that got me, Gwen." David turned around to fully face Gwen. They were 10 feet apart.

"I'm not everyone else, David. I'm your CBFL that you actually know. That you can actually trust. You have to give me a chance." Gwen was sincere, her words less forced than they were before.

David clinched his eyes shut, his body tensing up. "Ok..." He spoke quietly, relieving Gwen. David collapsed onto his knees and started sobbing into his hands.

Gwen ran over to David and hugged him tightly like he would blow away any second

She couldn't believe that she had came that close to losing her co-counselor to suicide.

Gwen hadn't realized how much they needed each other until that moment when she was holding onto David.

"I'm sorry." David kept on mumbling over and over again. Gwen kept on reassuring him that everything would be alright and rubbed his back.

"David we should get going back to the camp soon. You need to get some sleep."

David didn't make eye contact with Gwen at all the entire walk back to the camp.

He wasn't entirely sure how to.