Chapter Six - Family

"Oh, Vincent!" said Mom as she wrapped her arms around him, "How are you? You've grown so much!"

His blue eyes nervously shifted from her to me and he smiled. Looking back at her he hugged her back and she stepped away. Mom looked at him from head to toe and laughed.

"Don't be so nervous, Vincent."

"Haha, sorry. It's been a while since I've seen you. I'm fine Anne, thank you. How's everything?"

I caught myself frowning but bit my bottom lip. Mom was about to respond when suddenly Ian's footsteps echoed through the house. Vincent tensed and instantly, his eyes narrowed. Mom looked over Vincent's shoulder and rolled her eyes.

"Vincent Maxwell." sighed Ian as he stepped into the living room, "What a pleasant surprise."

"It is nice to see you again, Mr. Valentine." said Vincent as he turned around and faced my father.

"Last time I checked, this wasn't an Italian mobster movie!" chimed Mom as she sat down on the couch.

Ian stared down Vincent and then looked over to me. His eyes kept on shifting between us and he began to slowly pace.

"Are you happy, Azura?"

"I-I'm more than happy!" I responded as I jumped out of the chair, "I've never been this happy in a long time..."

Ian nodded and looked back over at Vincent.

"I've never had the grace to raise Azura. I've heard stories about you, the great Vincent Maxwell... Mr. Maxwell. You make my daughter happy, you give her a smile I can never put on her face. You're all she talked about, you're the reason why she never gave up; the reason why she even put up with me in the first place. I thank you for taking care of her. Listen here, and listen carefully."

Ian walked towards Vincent and looked eye to eye at him, his eyes blazing with the authority of a father. I could almost taste the tension.

"If you ever hurt Azura, I will come back and break you."

After a five second silence, Mom burst out in laughter. We all looked at her and she waved her hand.

"I will come back and break you." she parroted in a deep voice.

Ian rolled his eyes and looked back at Vincent. He broke out into a smile and looked back at Mom.

"You're so immature, you know that?" he laughed.

"But you love my immaturity!"

"I love you more than it."

Mom blushed and Ian looked back at Vincent, his face stone cold.

"Do I make myself clear?"

Vincent nodded and Ian smiled. Suddenly, Ian pulled his arm back and punched him in the face. Vincent fell to the floor as I quickly rushed to his side.

"Ian, what the fuck?!" I yelled.

"Lan~guage!" sang Mom.

"That's for making me black out." he laughed as he sat down on the couch.

Vincent groaned and touched his cheek.

"Are you okay?" I mumbled, a smile itching to break out.

"Fuck..." he muttered.

"You'll be fine." I laughed as I kissed his bruise.

--

I handed Vincent the ice pack and he sighed as he placed it on the bruise. My eyes roamed to the walls and I smiled at the pictures of us on it.